Pientenpol Mini

flourbluff

Just finished the Pietenpol Mini. I built it because my aviation class at Mosley High School had built one. If you are not familiar with the Pietenpol, it is of all wood/fabric construction. Only metal were the fittings, engine mount and flight controls. We put a Contental 65hp in it. Flew great. I've included a photo of it at our EAA hanger.

Attachments

• 20180520_211157.jpg
    20180520_211157.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    973.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20180520_210501.jpg
    20180520_210501.jpg
    612.2 KB · Views: 0

Gazoo

That is very cool! I like the skewer reinforcements for the power pod. Very clever.

Did you get to go for a ride in the Pietenpol? I'd have to pick the bugs out of my teeth if I had one of those!

flourbluff

Yes, I flew it. I did the maiden flight and it flew nice. This was the 3rd and last plane we built at the school. The 1st was an EAA Super Acrosport and the second was A WAGAERO Cuby (Exact replica of the J-3 Piper Cub. In fact we used the J-3 manual for rigging and weight and balance.) With over 5,000 hrs of single engine time it was no big deal for me.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Those are some very neat projects!

Were the high-school builds multi-year projects for each one?

flourbluff

The Acrosport was a 3 plus year project because of the two wings and each one had many ribs that had to be built. The Cuby and Pietenpol were approximately two years each. We were sponsored by the local EAA chapter 202, which paid for all the materials. The school only provided the facility and me, which I would have been used for some other purpose. The ACSP and Cuby required a lot of critical welding of the tubular fuselages, gear, etc. All ribs on both planes were wood construction; spars and ribs.

Attachments

• 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 0