pietenpol progress

ozzie

due to the untimely demise of the mini scout I decided to give the Pietenpol a shot. Its just a really cool looking plane. Need to add the original's numbers/letters to the paint scheme.
IMG_0415.JPG

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
due to the untimely demise of the mini scout I decided to give the Pietenpol a shot. Its just a really cool looking plane. Need to add the original's numbers/letters to the paint scheme.
View attachment 119907
Really good looking build. That insanely huge rudder made me curious and I loaded up Phoenix to give it a go. In the sim, at least? That thing is amazing! It's the first time I successfully flew inverted. Then I had many more not so successful attempts. The controls are like, upside down and stuff. :p It'll do wing edge circles, balance on the nose, loop in a ridiculously small vertical area, and when you get tired of the child's play, go for more than 50% throttle. Then it just gets stupid!

You've gotten me torn as to what that next build will be. I'll have to spend some time with the DR1 and this and compare and contrast. You are in for a blast of real life flying!

ozzie

Really good looking build. That insanely huge rudder made me curious and I loaded up Phoenix to give it a go. In the sim, at least? That thing is amazing! It's the first time I successfully flew inverted. Then I had many more not so successful attempts. The controls are like, upside down and stuff. :p It'll do wing edge circles, balance on the nose, loop in a ridiculously small vertical area, and when you get tired of the child's play, go for more than 50% throttle. Then it just gets stupid!

You've gotten me torn as to what that next build will be. I'll have to spend some time with the DR1 and this and compare and contrast. You are in for a blast of real life flying!
Thanks Buzzbomb. Question: when I was RC active back in the late 80's I tried simulators but as you can imagine, the slow processing speed of the latest CPUs (386-486 pre Pentium chips) made them almost useless. How do today's sims compare to actual flying?

d8veh

Elite member
They
How do today's sims compare to actual flying?
They're very good. You need a reasonable graphics card to get the best out of them, though they work with just about anything if you get the settings right. The response of the planes and general flying are extremely realistic, but the main draw-back is the view-point. It's difficult to orientate yourself relative to the surroundings, so lining up for a landing requires you to fly to a point of reference first and it's difficult to get a concept of how high you are, so when you do those big loops, the ground often gets in the way. Finally, the wind isn't very realistic.

Basically, they're a lot of fun and realistic enough to teach you how to fly a plane, but what they don't teach you is how to recognise what's wrong with your plane and how to sort it out.

If you have a PC, you can get a very good simulator for around $10. Look on Amazon, Ebay, Aliexpress, Banggood, Gearbest or whatever is your favourite online shopping place for "22 in 1 Flight Simulator Cable". Obviously, it's cheaper if you buy it from China, but $20 from your local Amazon is still exceptionally good for what you get. The only thing you need is a transmitter with a trainer port.