Pietenpol won't go straight or move on grass...

You do surprise me! I thought it was a bit heavier than that. It's made as standard, but with a 3D printed engine and bigger wheels, so maybe 290g?

Martin

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
3d printed firewall is under 5g. Foam wheels won’t be more than 5-10g difference.
My SE5A is 260g with the battery and everything in.

Tonero311

I'm in my third build of the pietenpol now. 1 SBK, 1 modified with straight wing/flaperons and now I'm attempting a 150% version with previous mods. It noses over everytime I land the smaller ones. Tried moving landing gear forward myself, but still won't roll on her own wheels. I'm hoping 100mm wheels will help it roll better on the grass.
The standard size one I was on 400g AUW with 850mah 3s battery. Power pack F equivalent setup.

I have a 5 foot span DB Mascot trainer with an Enya 35 waiting it's first flight with me. I bought it from a club member and have had to fit it out and repair several parts. It's a steerable noseleg job, so should roll fine on its 2" wheels. Obviously it did as the club member flew it often while learning. I'm also learning on the club's Tutor 40 and am doing quite well, but I'd like to try on my own with the Pietenpol. Opposite my daughter's house is a large field full of consistently tall weed. Not impenetrable, but enough to cushion a landing and save the prop on landing. Son-in-law can hand launch it for me. Even the grandson could do that. He's pretty smart and interested. Farmer's fine with the flying too. I once flew a Ripmax pusher power glider, but the strange cable controlled surfaces wouldn't go left, so I kept circling right and it landed on my daughter's roof! No damage, but Ripmax needs modernising with small brushless and 2.4 radio.
I have a 3S 700 MAh LiPo and a 20Amp ESC with an Orange Rx.

Martin

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
On pavement it just turns left, despite having right thrust built in
Your plane only turns left. Sound like it's making a political statement.;)

1) Make sure both wheals turn freely.
2) Add some toe in. That is, point the wheals at a point 5-7 feet in front of the plane.
3) If 1 & 2 fail, add a steerable tail wheal.

Merv, there seems little point in doing that when the model won't run on grass. Larger wheels are just going to look silly and affect the CoG.
I think bungee or hand launch are the answer.

Martin