Pilatus PC-21 3d Print

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
New project I am starting, so far it seems to be well designed, following author's recommended Cura settings. Going for this color scheme
1643750832060.png

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Yep thats the one, printing in matte blue PLA , running really nice. I downloaded the Pike too, I think there are two different sizes if I'm not mistaken. I'll post a pic of the first fuse piece when its done.

SSgt Duramax

Yep thats the one, printing in matte blue PLA , running really nice. I downloaded the Pike too, I think there are two different sizes if I'm not mistaken. I'll post a pic of the first fuse piece when its done.
I still need to finish my shark. I was having trouble with the ailerons printing (something I later fixed) so I switched back to the model D. So the wings of the shark have turned into experimental painting platforms for the model d. The model D is about ready to rock, however. I just need to finish the landing gear. I need to clear up my 3D printing plane ADD first before I start another project. I have like 1 functioning plane, 1 almost functioning, and the 70% complete shark.

Right now I am just printing a ball bearing spool holder for my printer and stuff for the lack enclosure. Turns out a lot of the issues I was having was due to the roll hanging up on the spool holder. I switched to the new spool of polylite I had which was on a cardboard spool and it printed much better. So I would venture to guess that most of the problem I was having may have been due to the spool hanging up.

cyclone3350

Master member
Sounds like me. I am about to wrap up the wings & tail on this Gee Bee & hopefully install the motor within the next couple of days. Then I am going to start on a 1/4 bipe, get it to the covering stage, & start on the 1/3.5 Cub. This way, come spring, I can have three Maidens a month apart, as I finish them off.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
So thought things were going well last post about this , then not long after that it all went crappy. #1 got to 80% or so and then lost filament somehow, #2 attempt I put on last night after some adjustments and went to bed an hour later thinking everything was good , got up this morning and saw the mess in the picture and noticed that the filament had snapped , figured it ran for 4 hours maybe not feeding anything. totally clogged my hot end so I ended up replacing that tonight, and decided I would start again but with smaller pieces and get the print dialed in right. Canopy pieces turned out much better and they actually look matte like they should. In all not bad, those were the first two feal failed pieces I have had so far so can't complain.
IMG_20220202_223835525.jpg

SSgt Duramax

I've had filament snap on me. Are you using an ender as well? From some reading I had been reading, the factory spool hanger (basically) just the rod has some drag and that can cause underextrusion and snapped filament.

I printed one of these out (it takes common 608zz bearings) and it works fantastic and I haven't had an issue since. I went nuclear and got a metal extruder too. So for about 15 bucks i cleared up a ton of issues.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3551666

I actually purchased a direct drive conversion bracket and extension wire too. I haven't installed it yet. I decided to try the tires for my plane with TPU (my first TPU print) and it went pretty seamlessly.

Had I known the direct drive kit came with a little PTFE bowden tube (it is like an inch) I probably wouldn't have bought the capricorn tube, but I am doing well with it. I am going to throw in the LW-PLA and see if I can't get the model A printed in that since all of my little issues are cleared up.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I have an Anycubic Mega S and I built an enclosure for it with the spool holder mounted in not the normal position, it actually feeds filament from under the machine and have not had an issue with that setup. The designer said this plane was designed for a direct drive printer but that he did successfully print it using an Anycubisc I3 Mega which is basically the same machine I have just older version. After talking with the company about the filament(Quantum 3d) it seems that this filament needs to run at a higher temp than regular PLA to get that matte finish. So I made some adjustments to temp and speed and the canopy turned out like it should so I will stick with those settings and I did a bed level again and it seems to have helped. Definitely going to upgrade my hot end though and looking for a direct drive conversion now that you have enlightened me that such a thing exists LOL. here is a pic of my enclosure and spool holder location
IMG_20220204_062439838.jpg

SSgt Duramax

I have to put my enclosure together. I got my tables from Ikea.

I decided that this will be my next print. If you buy the guy a coffee you get super detailed instructions and access to all of his designs and detailed instructions and such for those. He has a cool forward swept wing canard plane and a EDF one too.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1659724

It is actually pretty cool how he did this. It is dual thin wall with a 6 percent in fill.

20220204_231349.jpg

I have some transparent purple coming in to do the northern pike though. I think that will be my night flyer.

Last edited:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I didn't, I actually ended up using the printed model to make a foam board version. This one sits with a bunch of others waiting for a maiden. The printed one seems to be well designed, I suspect set up properly it should be a good flyer. I don't believe there is any landing gear for it though.

52325611351_84b0194d6c_h.jpg

52325611366_3c2c64f6bc_h.jpg