Pilot busts: What dimensions match "scales". IE 1/6 1/4 etc

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I want to 3d print out some pilot busts. There are a lot of really cool models if you search for "bust" on thingiverse. The problem is trying to figure out the correct dimensions to match my 1/7 jet. I even went shopping around for premade pilot busts and they all reference scales but not any dimensional sizes. I guess i could measure my head and calculate it down, but just seems like i am searching for the wrong terms as im not finding anything already online for these numbers.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Since the body length might change a bit from one bust to another, I'd go by shoulder width.

Average man's shoulder width is ~18". That means 1/4 scale, for instance, would be 4.5" wide. 1/7 would be ~2.6in. The remainder of the scaling is left as an exercise for the reader ;)

BTW, in case you wanted a good flying buddy . . . you're welcome to fly with me :) (it's small -- for 1/7, scale it up 12000%)

Attachments

• dan-cleaned.stl
    7.2 MB · Views: 0

thenated0g

Mentor
ha, thats pretty cool. I have an old xbox 360 camera, i should try that as well.
1525213514929.png

thenated0g

Mentor
i guess i should just pick a starting size and print it out fast/low infill and see how i like the size and adjust as needed.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
I'm going to download a photo of a WW1 pilot, scale it and print it normally and reversed. Then I'm going to glue them on foam board, trim and install in my Simple Scout.