Piper PA-12 Super Cruiser-Backcountry Edition

Taildragger

Legendary member
This is probably going to be a long one, 10 months to 10 months-and-a-half, but it should be worth it. Basically My friend has a Super Cub LP that has many upgrades, Bush tires, custom trim scheme, etc. (must be noted that he does NOT have the brushless upgrade as we both agree we like the handling/power/sound better with brushed)
1630427324782.png
He let me fly this recently and now i NEED a cub about this size, so I remembered this one pilot who took me up in the backcountry once has a reeeaaallly pretty cub that is also black, white, and red.
1630426709290.png
Now, I know this looks like a Super Cub, but be aware that it is different. It is actually *drumroll* a PA-12 Super Cruiser!
How am I going to design one of those?
Maybe use a Super Cub plan and just paint it the same?
Too many differences for me to be fine with it.
Use a three view?
Possible, but some things that aren't visible I don't trust myself to make up?
Maybe someone already has plans?
YES!
Now a few things need to be decided. What build techniques do I use? Master Series, Skinning, Ironed Edges, I'm going all out!

A few days later: *notification rings*
1630428617750.png

A float plane?
Could this be a float plane?
1630428724683.png
1630428676851.png
Yep.
butttt how to waterproof it?
1630428795580.png
Ok. Add Minwax to my technique list.

Now I am Faced with one more decision before beginning the project:
Do I just print the plans and build from them, or do I use the plans as a template in CAD?

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Good luck, I’ll be following! I’ve got two of those old super Cubs, I haven’t fixed either one of them yet though. They seem like great little planes!

Taildragger

Legendary member
Good luck, I’ll be following! I’ve got two of those old super Cubs, I haven’t fixed either one of them yet though. They seem like great little planes!
They are and I'm constantly annoyed that they're discontinued lol
also they aren't exactly "little" planes as I have only been flying micros lately :LOL:

cyclone3350

Master member
This is probably going to be a long one, month to month-and-a-half, but it should be worth it. Basically My friend has a Super Cub LP that has many upgrades, Bush tires, custom trim scheme, etc. (must be noted that he does NOT have the brushless upgrade as we both agree we like the handling/power/sound better with brushed)
View attachment 206340
He let me fly this recently and now i NEED a cub about this size, so I remembered this one pilot who took me up in the backcountry once has a reeeaaallly pretty cub that is also black, white, and orange.
View attachment 206339
Now, I know this looks like a Super Cub, but be aware that it is different. It is actually *drumroll* a PA-12 Super Cruiser!
How am I going to design one of those?
Maybe use a Super Cub plan and just paint it the same?
Too many differences for me to be fine with it.
Use a three view?
Possible, but some things that aren't visible I don't trust myself to make up?
Maybe someone already has plans?
YES!
Now a few things need to be decided. What build techniques do I use? Master Series, Skinning, Ironed Edges, I'm going all out!

A few days later: *notification rings*
View attachment 206342
A float plane?
Could this be a float plane?
View attachment 206344
View attachment 206343
Yep.
butttt how to waterproof it?
View attachment 206345
Ok. Add Minwax to my technique list.

Now I am Faced with one more decision before beginning the project:
Do I just print the plans and build from them, or do I use the plans as a template in CAD?

Oh how I wish I could do cad. I have built built quite a few planes from balsa to DTFB. So, I do it ole school. I just use the exiting plans and make the pattern and formers form there. Here R some postings from an old guy If U want to see an example of this. U might get some ideas. I would think that if U could transfer that info into CAD, U might be able to get it more precise and make the any custom changes a bit easier. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/new-to-ft-my-stuff.66655/page-2

Taildragger

Legendary member
Oh how I wish I could do cad. I have built built quite a few planes from balsa to DTFB. So, I do it ole school. I just use the exiting plans and make the pattern and formers form there. Here R some postings from an old guy If U want to see an example of this. U might get some ideas. I would think that if U could transfer that info into CAD, U might be able to get it more precise and make the any custom changes a bit easier. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/new-to-ft-my-stuff.66655/page-2
I may make a prototype the old fashoined way, then CAD my final model.

Taildragger

Legendary member
Do you guys think this will work?
1630950877358.png

I use a box spar like on the ft cub (red) and leave an empty cavity (blue) for all my wires to go through and the servo will just slide up into the spar through a hole (also like the simple cub)

The Fopster

Master member
View attachment 206937
I use a box spar like on the ft cub (red) and leave an empty cavity (blue) for all my wires to go through and the servo will just slide up into the spar through a hole (also like the simple cub)
I've got a Cessna about that size with a box spar and it's fine. You could put a strip of thin plywood on the front of the box spar if you're planning on getting enthusiastic on the sticks!

cyclone3350

Master member
View attachment 206937

I was looking @ the plans. From rib W1-W3, it shows a dihedral brace in front and behind the front spar. I would think U could use 1/16 or maybe 1/8 balsa to tie the wings together. Put one in front and behind your box spar. That should give U plenty of strength.