Pitot-Static System, Air Data computer. Free plans and build resources

JLJ

I've made one air data computer, complete with a DIY pitot-static probe; I've used it for a while, fun a (relatively) useful :). You find online all the plans, and the software, necessary to build your units. Most common applications on RC planes include altitude and true airspeed measurement. You find here an article about ADC basic usage. I thought it could be helpful for others to share here this material.

Senzanome.png

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Very cool! I built a ground based system for a wind tunnel, but never made it airborne. Well done for designing it and making it available to the community!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Cool! Does the Teensy have additional capacity to record electrical info too, cell voltage, current?

DamoRC

JLJ

@Foam Addict, Thank you! Ground systems stuff? Sounds terrific. My original project evolved and different people contributed, I owe a lot to Basic Air Data team. Anyway, a third-party team tested our Pitot Probe within a wind tunnel.
@DamoRC Good point. Sorry, it Is necessary to add some circuitry to handle high voltages or currents. However, Teensy capabilities are pretty good, pinout here. For the ADC we used limited hardware resources. It is really hackable. ADC PCB Design files are posted on Github, you find the schematics(simple) here.

Last edited:

OttoPilot

Oh cool, I'll have to check this out when I get home!

I've had some pressure transducers sitting on the bench for just such a project.

JLJ

Regarding the Pitot-Static probe. For the simpler model, you need some pipe and a 3D printed head. I've used for long the flanged model; the main advantage is that you can align the probe quickly.

8mmESP-PITOT-Manual_Pagina_32.jpg pitot8mmhemispheric.jpg
Of course, the probe length varies in function of your application and airframe. Materials also can be changed.
I'm a participant in the project, I can ask questions regarding the make and the use.

Last edited: