Pitts bi-plane....ish

cgoffroad

Well I got bored. It’s too rainy to fly and I’ve been mulling over the FT Edge for some time. I’m not a huge fan of the mid-wing stunt planes but I love a good Bi-plane. Sooooo I made a bi-plane. I hacked up an FT Edge printed plan and made some decent progress. The plan is to have the upper wing hard mounted to the turtledeck of the Edge. The outer pylons will be hard mounted to the lower wing and index into a socket and pinned with a skewer on the upper wing. Between the wings rubber bands will stretch to put tension on the wing between the pylons and the fuselage. Finally the turtleneck will need re-enforcement to secure it under load. I’m kinda winging it on this one. No real plans but if it flys well enough who knows? Don’t mind the messy work station it’s a work in progress

E89E0429-7F50-4C12-BE49-FEE415661F51.jpeg D85E3061-04E2-4146-B0C1-03D87C0CC6E1.jpeg 0CD18154-BACF-40B0-B2C9-C018C45DAFC6.jpeg

mayan

Legendary member
Well I got bored. It’s too rainy to fly and I’ve been mulling over the FT Edge for some time. I’m not a huge fan of the mid-wing stunt planes but I love a good Bi-plane. Sooooo I made a bi-plane. I hacked up an FT Edge printed plan and made some decent progress. The plan is to have the upper wing hard mounted to the turtledeck of the Edge. The outer pylons will be hard mounted to the lower wing and index into a socket and pinned with a skewer on the upper wing. Between the wings rubber bands will stretch to put tension on the wing between the pylons and the fuselage. Finally the turtleneck will need re-enforcement to secure it under load. I’m kinda winging it on this one. No real plans but if it flys well enough who knows? Don’t mind the messy work station it’s a work in progress

View attachment 135449 View attachment 135450 View attachment 135451
Love it! I am following this :).

cgoffroad

Well thanks to COVID isolation I managed to finish the PITTS biplane. The maiden flight went well enough. As it sits its a decent flyer, balancing 1in aft of the leading edge of the lower wing. It worked really well as a glider tug. Its equipped with a FT C pack but screams for more power. IMG_0527.JPEG IMG_0528.JPEG

cgoffroad

Nice! You gonna paint it black and yellow? No vid?!!

I'm not sure about paint yet, I want to take a stab at building another. Iv had a few PMs asking for plans and there are a few features Id like to rework. Unfortunately I don't have anyone to fly with so no camera person.

LukeMcG

Little bit of masking tape can fix the no cameras person problem! 😁 I love this airplane and fully intend to copy it.

Attachments

• 7723D72A-9E61-4E36-ACD8-6580B51C1959.png
    7723D72A-9E61-4E36-ACD8-6580B51C1959.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 0