swilker

Help!
Working on a MAC computer with AP 2.015. Have the Pixhawk system with GPS and a Spektrum DX8 radio. Can't get the Accelerometers to calibrate to save my life. Fails every time. Must be something simple, but I can't seem to figure it out. Can anyone make some suggestions. Thanks,
Drew

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I've only used APM and ArduPlane, so I can't address arducopter, but are you using the latest version, and does this apply to you?

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/tr...n_or_NaN_appearing_in_Advanced_Parameter_list

Despite the video, I think we need more information to help you:

* Version of arducopter installed
* values of INAV_ACORR_[XYZ]
* altitude reading on your flight display

Just saw jamieFL's post... yes, on arduplane with mission planner, I never wait 10 seconds between orientation. I would risk timing out if I did that... jamieFL, he's got to use either APM Planner or qgroundcontrol for OSX support. Mission Planner is windows only.

Last edited:

jamieFL

First, why are you using APM planner? Mission planner is much more complete. This isn't your problem, but there is no need to wait after you press a key. Once it prompts for a new position, go. I've actually been timed out when not moving fast enough.

Load mission planner and go through the wizard. If it fails, you probably have a bad board.

swilker

Ok

* Version of arducopter installed: APM planner 2.015 installed firmware from this
* values of INAV_ACORR_[XYZ]: Not sure where to find this?
* altitude reading on your flight display -17

swilker

I'm on a MAC
I can try with a PC too, but Mission planner is a Windows program, hence I was using APM and that's a MAC program.

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
When you go to the firmware screen, it should tell you what version you have installed http://planner2.ardupilot.com/wiki/install-firmware/ or if you need to upgrade.

You should be able to see the arducopter parameters by clicking on the config/tuning button/tab and selecting the most advanced or full parameter list. There should be a search box or something like that. I haven't installed APM Planner so I can't check, but I'm just going by the hope that mission planner and apm planner are similar enough -- and the screenshots seem to indicate they are.

swilker

Tried it MP in Parallels and couldn't get the pixhawk to talk with the computer, and yes I have the ports assigned to windows not the MAC, stuck....

swilker

Version 3.2 re-flashed, but that was the version I was using...
Re Calibrated Compass now that's now working either.... Crap...

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Are you calibrating with a usb cable connection to the computer or worth just battery power and the telemetry radio? I find it easier to do it with just the radio as I don't need to have the cable in the way. This is especially true for compass calibration. You can also manually look up and input the compass figures instead of using the calibration method. All these actions have a time limit I believe.

swilker

Correct I started using the cable. I will try the battery again. I recall having an issue when I did it the first time with the battery and 433 Mhz connection, but I don't recall what that was. I'm really frustrated. When I did the NAZA i had less problems. The Multi Wii was my first and it was the most difficult till now. The Flip32 was easy to set up too. Oh yes and thanks for the help....

Last edited:

swilker

Tried that didn't work, did get the compass to calibrate. Something still wrong...Thanks for trying to help me. If I ever get this I will make a video with the details.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Are you able to get a full parameter dump? At the very least, are you able to see the accelerometer values in those parameters I posted? Maybe you should post them? You can also post logs and these parameters to the diydrones or apmforums and folks there are pretty helpful. One of the main developers, tridge answers pretty quickly.

swilker

also Tried it with MP on an older PC and nothing worked there either. Can get no help from the folks I bought it from 3D Robotics and they don't even bother to respond. Probably not a system I would purchase again. Shoot...

swilker

Thanks I'll give that a try. Will work some more on it tomorrow. have a FLL tournament I'm running in the morning, got to go to bed...

Last edited:

swilker

These seem like really good suggestions, however if there is a
terminal window option on my AP planner I can't find it. ScreenShot.jpg
I've stopped using the Cable and started using the
433MHz system, another good suggestion. Is there a special
option in the AP planner that will get me the terminal window.
Thanks again for the help....
Recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQia8Lev_Fc
my Figures after calibration:
ACC_Cal.jpg

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I'll have a look at your video tonight and will also load arducopter on a pixhawk unit I got for my tricopter which is currently flying a flip 1.5 multiwii fc.

I can run apm planner to get a more similar experience.

In the meantime, did you try posting all this good information on the apm forums? Tridge, one of the main developers is always on there helping people with problems.

arizona98tj

also Tried it with MP on an older PC and nothing worked there either. Can get no help from the folks I bought it from 3D Robotics and they don't even bother to respond. Probably not a system I would purchase again. Shoot...

Sorry to hear the 3DR folks aren't responding.
There is a pretty good following for both the APM 2.x and PixHawk (along with all the clone variants for both) on RCGroups.

Here is a couple of links for some 'Hawk support you might want to check out.

FixHawk/FixHawk Part 1

PixHawk/FixHawk Part 2

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I just got home, and have installed APM Planner (had to build from source).

Ok, first, from APM Planner, go to File->Advanced Mode and make sure that option is selected/checked off.

Once you've done that, you'll have access to the Console/Terminal window/icon, as well as the full advanced parameters list: adv_config.png

Here's what I get with just my pixhawk connected to my computer using a USB cable (because I don't have it in an airplane yet) -- I have just the buzzer and switch connected.

acc_calib.png

Here are all my INS_ACC* values -- I'm not much of an expert on what they should be, but this is with my Pixhawk calibrated, and sitting on a table. Maybe you can compare and see if there's anything obvious:

acc_adv.png