Plan suggestion for 18650 battery.

Flossierider

Attachments

• IMG_20200512_103154.jpg
    IMG_20200512_103154.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 0

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
That would seem like a very heavy pack for a 3cell model. It strikes me that the power required to keep the model in the air is limited by the pack rating of 15/20 amps. Maybe an FT Guinea Pig might work but I would not be too confident.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Something with a large wing & slow, maybe the Storch, Kraken or the blunt nose Versa.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The only thing with 18650s that I've gotten to fly is the Nano Goblin from Strix. Everything else, i just don't see it as a viable battery pack for the weight.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
For a 3P pack, you should be able to do 60 Amps...... There is an inverse trade off between C rating, and mah. Somebody has been playing with 18650s in a Strix Stratosurfer, and has it up to about 50 minutes of mild flying. 18650s are great for endurance, but not great for speed/power.

LB

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I went back and clicked on the battery spec link. This pack at 3P should be capable of doing 60A continuous.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I'm working on a similar pack right now for my sea duck. I've been flying with a 10,000 mah lipo that weighs 1lb 9oz and I can cruise at about 8-10 amps continuous. I think I can get that down to 5 or 6 by refining the wing in my next build.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
a lot of long range flyers are starting to use 18650s
the C1 Chaser wing guys are using the 18650 packs and reporting 45 min- 1 hr flight times
due to the low power management/consumption of the long range flyers trying for distance

I too have been looking into this am going to build a pack to test against a couple 4 cell lipos to test in my C1 wing
I am already using 18650's to power my taranis radio and also the R9M long range module
I have a 56volt ego battery with a few bad cells that I should look into scavenging batteries they are not 18650's but I will look into this too???

lets us know your results

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
hahha yeah dont believe the specs.
the first pack I soldered up was with cheap Chinese over rated batteries I scavenged out of something, it could only spin the motor for a short time as the voltage would drop so fast, so I use them for low demand transmitter batteries instead

this is where you really get what you paid for

Last edited:

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
Not necessarily, In the Project Farm video above, all of the cheap cells were terrible but some of the higher priced cells also did poorly. They broke it down in cents per mah.
yeah I get that Merv, I was refering to the fact I was so cheap I used scavenged previously used batteries with no idea of condition :LOL:

leaded50

Legendary member
normally,cheap ones is "cheap effect", if want effect as said up here, continious amps over 25-30, you never get it by cheap batterys ..and every battery with named something with "FIRE" is that, easy bust in fire..

Last edited: