Plane is to sensitive

CL8N2

It's a bit unclear.

Ive stated multiple times that "my high and low rates are perfectly equalized". Heck i dont even think the transmitter being in high or low mode even matters, especially since their is no battery in the plane to juice the servos?? You just tighten the set screw on the linkage stoppers to set "neutral", the rates only matter after you power it up.. and like i mentioned "fairly clearly". The plane is set up perfectly... its just too sensitive to input... even on a perfectly tuned in throws (25°High , 12°Low for the Sea Otter).

d8veh

Elite member
Ive stated multiple times that "my high and low rates are perfectly equalized". Heck i dont even think the transmitter being in high or low mode even matters, especially since their is no battery in the plane to juice the servos?? You just tighten the set screw on the linkage stoppers to set "neutral", the rates only matter after you power it up.. and like i mentioned "fairly clearly". The plane is set up perfectly... its just too sensitive to input... even on a perfectly tuned in throws (25°High , 12°Low for the Sea Otter).
We seem to have a bit of a communication problem. One of us is missing something. I'm definitely missing what you mean by "my high and low rates are perfectly equalized". Does that mean that the servo moves the same distance on high and low rates? Let me explain something: the high and low rate switches are extremely important. I've been flying for more than 30 years, and I use them several times each time I visit the flying field, and there needs to be a difference between high and low rates.

If you don't have your rates switches operating, you need to setup your plane with throws that correspond with the low rate setting until you can fly the plane comfortably. If it's still too lively, you need to set the throws still lower.

25 deg is a lot for a beginner with a plane like that. I would recommend something like half of that, and the same with the elevator. I usually start a new plane with something like 10 deg up and down

Last edited:

CL8N2

Does that mean that the servo moves the same distance on high and low rates?

if im getting 25° on high, and 12° on low... im not sure how you can interpret that as moving the same distance. Maybe i should have said "calibrated" insteed of "equalized". But we've gotten way off track with the worry of my "throws" settings being either on high or low, Exspecially when ive said my low throws were 200% to much for me (but i understand people dont like to actually listen, but talk). That being said. By me reducing my throw angle by placing my linkage on the lowest hole on the servo arm made it much more controlable, i was even able to set it on high throw (😲) and comfortably fly... i wasent haveing "is my high and low throws even working, or the same" but a different fundamental problem with the way my "linkage" was attached... if my problem was (as the OP stated) a plane being to sensitive, im not sure why so much concern would be on throws. Sry i appreciate (respect) your veteran knowledge, but forums are full of people that type, an not read...

CL8N2

Ive returned home with a slightly smashed up plane (from a voilent nose dive). But the rewards of my flight time were incredible! Adjusting my throws down quite a bit (maybe getting 8°). Im able to control my plane as if its an exstention of my body. I did a bunch of smooth half circle turns and then landed with a perfect flare. After about 8 of those, i had enough courage to punch it full throttle, and accend up to about 80ft or more!! It was probly the 3rd most amzlazing moment of my life. I litterally screamed with joy when i landed it! Haha. I took right off again going right back up to around 100ft and i did 2 circuits around my park at that height. Flying into the wind it would get real slow and wobble with the turbulence, then id roll down wind and itd take of like a rocket, back into the wind shed float around!... man, it was the thing i needed to cure my "rc plane blues"... i dont even care i smashed her up good, it was still flying with the damage, it just looks bad... cant wait to get back out there, and dont think $40 for a smashed up plane is a bad learning curve... lol!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Ive returned home with a slightly smashed up plane (from a voilent nose dive). But the rewards of my flight time were incredible! Adjusting my throws down quite a bit (maybe getting 8°). Im able to control my plane as if its an exstention of my body. I did a bunch of smooth half circle turns and then landed with a perfect flare. After about 8 of those, i had enough courage to punch it full throttle, and accend up to about 80ft or more!! It was probly the 3rd most amzlazing moment of my life. I litterally screamed with joy when i landed it! Haha. I took right off again going right back up to around 100ft and i did 2 circuits around my park at that height. Flying into the wind it would get real slow and wobble with the turbulence, then id roll down wind and itd take of like a rocket, back into the wind shed float around!... man, it was the thing i needed to cure my "rc plane blues"... i dont even care i smashed her up good, it was still flying with the damage, it just looks bad... cant wait to get back out there, and dont think $40 for a smashed up plane is a bad learning curve... lol!
HaHa I'm glad for your success and I'd have to say you've just been bitten by the bug my friend!!

d8veh

Elite member
if im getting 25° on high, and 12° on low... im not sure how you can interpret that as moving the same distance. Maybe i should have said "calibrated" insteed of "equalized". But we've gotten way off track with the worry of my "throws" settings being either on high or low, Exspecially when ive said my low throws were 200% to much for me (but i understand people dont like to actually listen, but talk). That being said. By me reducing my throw angle by placing my linkage on the lowest hole on the servo arm made it much more controlable, i was even able to set it on high throw (😲) and comfortably fly... i wasent haveing "is my high and low throws even working, or the same" but a different fundamental problem with the way my "linkage" was attached... if my problem was (as the OP stated) a plane being to sensitive, im not sure why so much concern would be on throws. Sry i appreciate (respect) your veteran knowledge, but forums are full of people that type, an not read...

I'm pleased you've figured it out.

Don't forget that we can only read your words. We don't know what you meant by them. We have to take them literally or guess what you meant. You wrote, "I'm always on low". That could be interpreted as you never moved the switches at any time, so when you set up your throws, you set it up for full movement when the switch was on the low rate. You also said 25% high and 12% low Given that you said you're always on low rate, that could be interpreted as 25% up and 12% down. All we did is ask questions and make suggestions on what's above. Read through it all again in the light of what I just said, and you might see it a different way. The guys on this forum are only trying to help you. It's easier for all of us if you help them to do that.