Help! Plane recommendation for carrying by bike?

Rasmubur000

Hi, currently I'm using a FT P40 with a power pack C. The field I've been trying to fly at is encompassed by a walking track and tends to usually have people walking around. The closest field that would be much better is about 10 miles away, but I don't have a car. Do you guys know of any easily portable designs that might work better? I'm using 1800 mAh 3s batteries, so if I need to buy different motor and esc for a smaller plane that's fine

Piotrsko

Master member
2 piece wings? I had a 5pc glider once that I made to fit in the tour pack of my harley. Nothing was over 20 inches long. Triple wall cardboard box for transport.

Reactions: FDS

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hi, currently I'm using a FT P40 with a power pack C. The field I've been trying to fly at is encompassed by a walking track and tends to usually have people walking around. The closest field that would be much better is about 10 miles away, but I don't have a car. Do you guys know of any easily portable designs that might work better? I'm using 1800 mAh 3s batteries, so if I need to buy different motor and esc for a smaller plane that's fine
As @FDS mentioned I use a trailer for my bicycle and It carries my tools, spare parts, and a number of planes at the same time.

It just uses recycled parts. Mine has wheels from an old bicycle, an Ironing board, and a couple of foam crates. Total cost was only in time and that was not all that much. The most planes I have carried at one time was 15 when I was doing a delivery to a local retail shop. Largest plane was a 2 wing span metre glider, (wings detachable of course). The only real issue is that when the load is high, (around 200 pounds), going up hills is a real struggle. Going down hills is very easy but hard on the brakes!

If your bike has a luggage carrier you could make either panniers or even a set of saddle bags to fit over the luggage carrier.

Your only restrictions are your imagination and your budget!

Have fun!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I've been trying to figure out how to get my Surfer2000 to the field a mile from my house by bike. Think it would be more practical to do one of my Nano Skyhunters or Nano Goblins strapped to my backpack instead.

Piotrsko

Master member
Your only restrictions are your imagination
I agree. once transported a 25 gallon show aquarium between me and the ol lady on the harley, and took a 9 x12 oriental rolled up rug between a honda 125 and my sporty. In Retrospect, the rug might have been stoopid.
I might suggest a kid trailer

The Fopster

Master member
I like Piotrsko's idea. Make a strong cardboard box you can use like (or fit into) a backpack. Anything you can fit inside is good to go. Removable wings for the win! Original FT Spitfire is easy to do with removable wings if you can box it up. Or keep it simple and build one of the wing designs...

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
You might consider the Synapse from Experimental Airlines. It folds very compactly for transport.

jolfstn74

I've just resurrected my 48v 1000 watt rear hub ebike, it's been on the healing bench for a while because I was building my own battery & I hit a wall. From BatteryHookup.com I got A123 LiFEPO4 26650 x 96 cells for less than $100! I did 3 4p6s modules without bms that I series for around 63 volts & manually balance them on my Hobby charger, monitor them with lipo alarm. I used farrofluid inside the hub motor to facilitate cooling, as I'm doubling the original wattage run through the w indings &heat has not been a problem!
Now to the point: I'm building a trailer for getting my planes & paraphernalia to my flying field, which is about 9miles, and it's extremely hilly where I live.
My trailer will have electric motor propulsion, brushed more than likely,as I have a number of sizable brushed motors laying about on the healing bench, figure I'll have it mirror my throttle & brake activity, see how that works out.
I admire the one made with the ironing board! Very clever! It will be nice not to depend on Comrades for rides or to borrow their vehicles.

A lot just depends on the size of your plane. I've kept my planes at 32" and below, and I've carried every one strapped to my backpack.
But mine are smaller than average planes.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
the FT Dart would strap on a backpack rather well (but your up to building it yourself it seems).