Plane stuck in the tree

hi, i was flying an FT-flyer at night with no LED's and it got stuck at the very top of a big 30m tall tree at least and it is too dangerous to climb up it and we don't have a pole big enough to get it and we also cant hit a tennis ball up that high, we don't have FPV so we couldn't drop anything to knock it down, i am waiting for a big wind but really want my electronics to build a plane

If you have any tips or videos on how to get planes out of trees and not just trees, i have seen many videos but they are small trees, i got mine stuck in a very large tree. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

i will upload a video once i get it down on this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPZU_gEb4c4nhdRfCKDQVrg

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
I used 3/4 inch pvc schedule 40 electrical conduit. It's cheap from the HW store and you can slot the 10ft lengths together and snake it up through the branches. Its too bendy to stand on its own over about 15 ft.

Don't know if you can that in Australia but I'm sure you can find something like it. I tried tent poles from my family tent first but they were too wippy and too expensive if they break. Drain pipe rods or chimney rods would probably work. See if you can borrow some.

RAM

That's really high. I would say slingshot and fishing reel with a lead weight. Or a fishing bow.

I used 3/4 inch pvc schedule 40 electrical conduit. It's cheap from the HW store and you can slot the 10ft lengths together and snake it up through the branches. Its too bendy to stand on its own over about 15 ft.

Don't know if you can that in Australia but I'm sure you can find something like it. I tried tent poles from my family tent first but they were too wippy and too expensive if they break. Drain pipe rods or chimney rods would probably work. See if you can borrow some.

Awesome, i think i might try waiting for it to come down from the wind, the weather says it will be windy this afternoon , its really close to the edge of the brand just hanging off the leaves :cool::cool::cool::cool:

earthsciteach

Most likely the worst case scenario is that you will lose the battery. If it is up there for any length of time, the airframe will be toast, but that is no big deal. Servos, esc and motor will most likely be fine.

pressalltheknobs

That's really high. I would say slingshot and fishing reel with a lead weight. Or a fishing bow.

I got mine out of the top of a 40ft tree with the conduit. I was motivated because it was a hot day in drought ridden CA and I had visions of the battery bursting into flames and setting the neighborhood alight. Unlikely but there is a chance. More real was the neighbors complaining about the battery voltage alarm beeping away. It lasted a good while and it annoyed them quite a bit.

My second choice would be a bow with a leader tied to the arrow. A bow should be more accurate than a sling shot or fishing pole. But you would need quite a strong bow for 30ft up and there's a chance you would lose an arrow.

Last edited:
Most likely the worst case scenario is that you will lose the battery. If it is up there for any length of time, the airframe will be toast, but that is no big deal. Servos, esc and motor will most likely be fine.

yeah, pretty sure i will lose a lipo, its been up there for 19 hours but i still have throttle control so does that mean its still ok?...:cool::cool::cool::cool:

someone made a post similar and he used some tree climbing device to get a rope up to the plane.

yeah, i have seen that video but mine is stuck off on a tree branch, im sure it will come down soon, this is going to be its second night in the tree, hope it doesn't rain.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

fish

1 pvc pipe bends, to flexable, sorry, in picture lol.

2. get a sling shot, a egg weight, fishing line and rope. ifit is not to high electrical tape and cord works as well.

In the video took me three shots. I was already up a 28 foot ladder and already in a V of the tree, and yes was a 100 foot tree. I was pressed for time but you do get lucky. posted in your other thread

JohnRambozo

I had a similar incident at a park where I was flying last summer. I improvised with stuff that happened to be in my trunk - shoestrings, some thin electrical wiring and a car cleaning brush. Tied all of them together, start spinning the brush underhand, let a little the length out while spinning and on the upward rotation, release the line with a bit of a toss and pray. It took me an hour and a few blisters, but eventually I got around the branch the plane was stuck on and shook it down. Good luck, whatever you do.

Capt_Beavis

I am glad you got the plane back, but did you really just toss your water bottle on ground and leave it?

fish

yeah, you just tossed it away.

It looks that way , only thing I left behind was the bb I shot up. to hard to find

I had 3 waters with me all three came back to the Parks trash can down the road.

FISH

one is in my pocket. the other I packed with some dirt for weight, and then tossed as I found it. and the one I drank on top the ladder

Capt_Beavis

good man!

It looks that way , only thing I left behind was the bb I shot up. to hard to find

I had 3 waters with me all three came back to the Parks trash can down the road.

FISH

one is in my pocket. the other I packed with some dirt for weight, and then tossed as I found it. and the one I drank on top the ladder