Planes, Plans and Problems: Episode #220

Spitfire76

You mentioned on this episode how tricky it was to get Radiomaster gear in stock. As you now have you own branded ESCs, Motors and Servos what about you own branded radio gear ?. With OpenTX and more recently Express LRS that are both open source maybe its possible to develop a very inexpensive radio system potentially manufactured locally (JLCPCB ?) - just a thought.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
You mentioned on this episode how tricky it was to get Radiomaster gear in stock. As you now have you own branded ESCs, Motors and Servos what about you own branded radio gear ?. With OpenTX and more recently Express LRS that are both open source maybe its possible to develop a very inexpensive radio system potentially manufactured locally (JLCPCB ?) - just a thought.

development work for a full radio like that is non-trival. I believe the branded ESCs/motors/servos are colabs with other companies that already make those and these are just to FT's spec requests.

Also, as an aside, if you tried to manufacture a radio here in the US, I suspect the price would end up 2x or more then the stuff coming from china.

Great idea and I would love to see it work, but I don't think the business practicalities make it an option.

Spitfire76

development work for a full radio like that is non-trival. I believe the branded ESCs/motors/servos are colabs with other companies that already make those and these are just to FT's spec requests.

Also, as an aside, if you tried to manufacture a radio here in the US, I suspect the price would end up 2x or more then the stuff coming from china.

Great idea and I would love to see it work, but I don't think the business practicalities make it an option.
I agree its difficult for US companies to compete with electronic hardware companies based in China but my understanding is that shipping has tripled in price even though it may take longer. Now that of course maybe temporary. It would be great though if FT had a complete end to end solution including the radio gear and both OpenTX and Express LRS are open source so low cost software.

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I agree its difficult for US companies to compete with electronic hardware companies based in China but my understanding is that shipping has tripled in price even though it may take longer. Now that of course maybe temporary. It would be great though if FT had a complete end to end solution including the radio gear and both OpenTX and Express LRS are open source so low cost software.
would also require FT to outsource or higher the needed engineers to design the boards [when you get into RF and high data rate stuff, it gets a bit more of a deal. there there is also FCC compliance, which from what I have seen for ELRS, you probably need a ham license to use it in the US, as to my knowledge the parts themselves are not FCC certified]