Planes yet to maiden, re-maiden...

Turbojoe

Elite member
I get to play critter sitter for my daughter again this week starting Wednesday until Sunday. Luckily just down the street from her house is an awesome soccer field AND it's legal to fly there unlike here in Mesa where I live. :mad: While the grass is long and soft it isn't conducive to takeoffs/landings/touch and goes. That's OK though. There is a smooth parking lot to fly from. Just have to dodge the light poles.....

I have a few planes that need to be maidened and one that needs re-maiden after major modifications.

First is the Mountain Models Little Bogie. It has never seen air and it was finished probably 3-4 years ago. Second is the Mountain Models Tom-E-Boy 150. I tried to maiden in way too high winds several years back. Luckily didn't crash and destroy it. This will be a re-maiden. 3rd is the Tom Herr/Alien Aircraft Blinker. I tried to maiden in the same winds as the Tom-E-Boy. Again, I was lucky not to have crashed. This will be another re-maiden attempt.

Last but not least is my well worn Mountain Models EVA Bipe. I have many, many dozens of flights on this bird. Around 10 years ago I tripped on a rock and fell on her smashing the fuse to bits. I gathered the remains, rebuilt her and flew her many more times. I am NOT a fan of the 3D design tail feathers and a few years ago I cut them off of her. I then up sized the tried and true Mountain Models SwitchBack tail feathers and grafted them onto the EVA Bipe. I know they'll work. I just haven't re-maidened her yet. Hopefully sometime this next week.

I took one of my Mike Molt design/ Mountain Models Tyro 150's, stripped it and transformed it into a military themed gunship. It has a large bomb drop, rocket launchers (inert), machine gun pods (inert) with sound and synchronized red LED's. I started this transformation long before all the FAA B.S. came into play. I'm afraid to finish the wiring and fly it now. I don't want to be arrested for flying a terrorist aircraft. I won't even post pictures of it.........I MAY try to sneak in a maiden but I'll make sure nobody sees it. LOL..:sneaky:

Joe

Attachments

• Little Bogie side.JPG
    Little Bogie side.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Little Bigie Top.JPG
    Little Bigie Top.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Tom-E-Boy 150.JPG
    Tom-E-Boy 150.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Alien Aircraft Blinker.JPG
    Alien Aircraft Blinker.JPG
  • Mountain Models EVA Bipe.JPG
    Mountain Models EVA Bipe.JPG
  • MM EVA Bipe NEW tail.JPG
    MM EVA Bipe NEW tail.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

vhandon

I would really like to know how that Mountain Models EVA Bipe flies even though I may never get a chance to build one.

chris398mx

Master member
I get to play critter sitter for my daughter again this week starting Wednesday until Sunday. Luckily just down the street from her house is an awesome soccer field AND it's legal to fly there unlike here in Mesa where I live. :mad: While the grass is long and soft it isn't conducive to takeoffs/landings/touch and goes. That's OK though. There is a smooth parking lot to fly from. Just have to dodge the light poles.....

I have a few planes that need to be maidened and one that needs re-maiden after major modifications.

First is the Mountain Models Little Bogie. It has never seen air and it was finished probably 3-4 years ago. Second is the Mountain Models Tom-E-Boy 150. I tried to maiden in way too high winds several years back. Luckily didn't crash and destroy it. This will be a re-maiden. 3rd is the Tom Herr/Alien Aircraft Blinker. I tried to maiden in the same winds as the Tom-E-Boy. Again, I was lucky not to have crashed. This will be another re-maiden attempt.

Last but not least is my well worn Mountain Models EVA Bipe. I have many, many dozens of flights on this bird. Around 10 years ago I tripped on a rock and fell on her smashing the fuse to bits. I gathered the remains, rebuilt her and flew her many more times. I am NOT a fan of the 3D design tail feathers and a few years ago I cut them off of her. I then up sized the tried and true Mountain Models SwitchBack tail feathers and grafted them onto the EVA Bipe. I know they'll work. I just haven't re-maidened her yet. Hopefully sometime this next week.

I took one of my Mike Molt design/ Mountain Models Tyro 150's, stripped it and transformed it into a military themed gunship. It has a large bomb drop, rocket launchers (inert), machine gun pods (inert) with sound and synchronized red LED's. I started this transformation long before all the FAA B.S. came into play. I'm afraid to finish the wiring and fly it now. I don't want to be arrested for flying a terrorist aircraft. I won't even post pictures of it.........I MAY try to sneak in a maiden but I'll make sure nobody sees it. LOL..:sneaky:

Joe
Awesome, good luck with all the flights.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I would really like to know how that Mountain Models EVA Bipe flies even though I may never get a chance to build one.

Actually she flys exceptionally well (Before the tail conversion). Because of the drag of the second wing she's not as fast as the Sport or "3D" winged versions but I think she's more comfortably aerobatic of the three. Landing is the only "tricky" part. As long as you don't try to land with power completely off and keep just a small amount of throttle on you can grease beautiful landings every time. Easily the nicest biplane I've ever flown. I just noticed I stole the ESC out of her at some point in the past. I'll have to refit her before Wednesday. She'll be the only "big" plane I'll be taking with me.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Wonderfully eclectic collection of airplanes Joe! I don't know which one I like the most. :cool:(y)

Thanks. At some point I need to stop building and start flying these creations. I get 90% of the pleasure from the builds though.

It looks like the EVA Bipe won't make it this time. I've got to stuff as many planes as I can in the back of a Scion xD along with a rocking chair that my daughter wants me to bring down with me. It's gonna be tight in there and I don't want anything to get broken.

Joe

OliverW

Legendary member
He shows to have one in stock. LINK
The problem had been getting Brian to ship orders out. Hopefully he's gotten better though.....

Joe
Awesome! I'll have to do some yardwork to get the money. I just earned $250 for weedwacking 1/3 of an acre. I put the money towards a new 48" 3D plane

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
At some point I need to stop building and start flying these creations.

Nope! That's a completely false and artifical condition. Build and enjoy all you want - save them for maidens whenever you feel like! :D I've got one big one that's coming up on two years waiting for a maiden too!

And I'm excited to build my EVA Bipe too - been loving my EVA sport for a couple years now! Great flying plane, but so light and floaty I don't really feel comfortable taking her out in anything over about 10mph winds.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Good luck. I had to cancel an order and eventually go thru PayPal to file a complaint to get a refund for an "in-stock" kit that didn't ship for way too long.

Yep, it's sad to see what's happened to Mountain Models. I e-mailed him a year or so ago hoping to order a couple of Tantrum canopies. I'm still waiting for a reply.........

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It's partially surprising another company hasn't stepped in and taken over their designs/kits. Maybe Brian wants too much for the supplies/rights/etc., but if somebody picked up their products and started kitting them I'd be all over a buying a couple of 'em.

vhandon

It's partially surprising another company hasn't stepped in and taken over their designs/kits. Maybe Brian wants too much for the supplies/rights/etc., but if somebody picked up their products and started kitting them I'd be all over a buying a couple of 'em.
Funny you should say that. I made a post to the Balsa Kit Manufacturers thread detailing my attempt to buy Mountain Models.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Dang it! Got here to Florence early yesterday morning. Too much wind and then the rain set in. Gloomy and rain again this morning. The pretty weather girl says tomorrow through Monday looks good. I just hope winds stay calm as I only brought the light weight birds like the Eaglet 250, Jr. Skylark, Tom-E-Boy 150 and the Little Bogie. Definitely calm wind flyers.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Hey Joe!

Any flying tales to tell? :)

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky

Not for lack of trying! 5 days in beautiful Florence, AZ with nicely manicured soccer fields just 2-3 minutes down the road. Every time I went down there the wind was trying to pull the planes out of my hands. Not a single flight. Now back at home it's the same problem. The pretty weather girl's idea of "calm breezes" is way off base!

I'm seriously considering pulling out and finally covering the Telemaster 40 so wind won't be an issue. I'm watching Jokers Telemaster thread as I might consider a gasoline engine in the bird if I can find a killer deal. I do have electric power that will work but batteries can get quite expensive at this size. Glow is NOT an option.

I'm still waiting for that "fast paced" kit and/or it's brother to be released from you...;)

Joe