Planky 2.0 - Diy hot cut sloper soarer

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I got out to maiden my plank 2.0 I started about 9 months ago. Flies great, shes all trimmed out and ready sunset beach camp n fly on may 3rd.

IMG_20190420_182713.jpg

IMG_20190420_182723.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
Finally got the plank out in some good wind. flew it in 9mph and on up to 20mph. This flight is probably 19-20 so i was able to finally fully ballast up the wing. Flies great. This was my favorite slope soarer this weekend. Really happy with the flying. Very stable and goes right where you tell it. Really makes me want one of the EPP gluto or bluto's now.

thenated0g

Mentor
Capture.JPG

Before planky 2.0 there was planky 1.0 ! But i never posted anything as it looks kind of..interesting and i didnt know how it would fly.
So when i first got my hot wire cnc going i was having problems with the software and it would only cut left side correctly and i really wanted to build something that weekend. I figured "hey a straight wing is the same on both sides", so i cut out 2 left cores, slapped a nose and a tail, rummaged around in the paint cans and here we go, planky 1.0. Flies amazingly well, like zero trim out of the hand. I would have swore with that short root that the cg would be a pain. pw1211 airfoil, home depot rigid insulation, some glass spars, laminate, balsa elevons.

thenated0g

Mentor
Started work on a new version of planky 2.0. This one is planky 2.71 as it will be larger at 71". Also something im going to try, at least on this first lite build to test cg, is elevons only on the outer panels.
1593025458895.png

This is how the vertical fin will connect. I have another carbon rod that matches its ID and slides right in. Same exact setup as v1 planky2.0. I just drill a whole all the way thru both, big enough for a small L shaped piece of control rod to fit in and tape over the top to hold it in place during flight. This keeps it from sliding out and from rotating.
IMG_20200624_062717.jpg
It will have 2x 72"x2mm glass fiber rods top and bottom.
IMG_20200624_063909.jpg
Old plank2 on top of new for size ref.
IMG_20200624_063954.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
After 2x 2mm glass spars top and bottom i super77 the entire wing and than covered top and bottom with overlapping layers of cross weave glass fiber tape. Than i used acetone to wipe the release agent off of the tape, gave it a light sanding, and painting with rattle cans. Than 5 mill iron on laminate went over the entire thing. Will get some pics of that tomorrow.
IMG_20200628_080101.jpg