Planning a Q450build

3zuli

Planning a Q450 build

Hi guys, I'm starting my first quad build. I want to use the Q450 frame from HK, KK2.0 as control board and ideally my Turnigy 2200mAh 3s 20C LiPo's as power source. I want the quad to be capable of carrying a gopro (or similar camera, possibly with a small 1-axis gimbal) + FPV gear, so let's say another 250-300g of payload.
I'll be buying all the components one by one, because my budget is pretty limited. First I'll buy the frame and then all the other components.
Now since I am a multirotor noob, I need some help on choosing the right components. Originally I was going to use these:
motors Turnigy D2836/9 950KV with 10x4.5 props
ESC HobbyKing 30A BlueSeries with SimonK FW
but I don't think that one battery will be sufficient. Motors are rated for >20A each and therefore I'd need a bigger LiPo.
So, can you guys recommend me a setup that:
1. will run fine on (one) 3S 2200mAh 20C LiPo's
2. will lift extra 200-300g
3. motors are 28mm (so that they fit the Q450 frame)
I've seen RChacker's cheap quad tutorial, but he's using a bigger battery. It would be better if I could use the LiPo's I already have. So please let me know, if this is unachievable and I just need to buy a bigger battery. Or give me a setup that will lift 2 of my LiPo's in paralell. I don't know, I'm a beginner :)
Thanks for help :)

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
As you indicated the 20C lipo is not suitable for a quad of that size since its max sustainable output would be 44A. Go with a 40C or better and probably a 3000mAh. Alternately, I think that you would be OK with 2 of your batteries in parallel with the other components you listed.

Thurmond

3zuli

How about the KV? If I used higher KV motors and smaller props, would that change anything?

Tritium

How about the KV? If I used higher KV motors and smaller props, would that change anything?

Higher KV = more power needed.
Smaller Props = less power needed.

Thrust requirements will be the same however for a given frame size and electronics load so your proposal of Faster/Smaller is not going to gain you anything.

Thurmond

3zuli

What would be the difference if I used DT750's? Or is it better to use rather higher KV on these small quads?

Tritium

Low KV and big prop (11" or bigger) usually = stability. (Calm to Mid-range flying and FPV / Aerial Photography)
High KV and small prop (8" or smaller) = Nimble Mad Aerobatic Excitement. (and many crashes until experience builds and you rebuild many times)

If this is a first quad you can save much time, expense and frustration by getting a RTF V929 by WL Toys. It is a great learning tool and because it is small and light it is fairly tough. Later you can "upgrade" to a model with more performance.

Thurmond

Last edited: