Planning To Build The Nieuport 24

CatholicFlyer

After I get back into flying by the way of the HobbyZone Champ airplane that @flitetest reviewed and re-learn, I plan on getting the Ross Foam Board from Walmart, if our Walmart has it in Western Kansas, then get some electronics and engine to make the World War One Irish Ace Edward Corringham "Mick" Mannock's Nieuport 24 airplane.

Right now in the study phase and thanks to @varg he explained some things about it, being very nose heavy. Any other info is welcomed.

CatholicFlyer

the Nieuport main wing is super skinny, while the secondary wing is super fat. weird. See below.

Attachments

• 22-1-2.jpg
    22-1-2.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 0

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Most airplanes that Nieuport manufactured are not true biplanes. In the most technical phrase it is called a sesequiplane, meaning one and one half wings. Also, the "main wing" on this particular airplane is actually the top wing. Most of the lift is derived from the top wing, and the bottom is there for structural reasons more so than lifting/aerodynamic reasons. The way that biplanes make lift is a bit strange. There is aerodynamic interference between the two lifting surfaces which decreases lift made by the bottom wing. So, the top wing in this case is properly sized to capitalize on the better lift achieved by the top wing. Also, you may want to check out park flyer plastics for dummy radial engines. They have quite the array of sizes and shapes that should fit in this application. Their rates aren't bad either.

CatholicFlyer

Most airplanes that Nieuport manufactured are not true biplanes. In the most technical phrase it is called a sesequiplane, meaning one and one half wings. Also, the "main wing" on this particular airplane is actually the top wing. Most of the lift is derived from the top wing, and the bottom is there for structural reasons more so than lifting/aerodynamic reasons. The way that biplanes make lift is a bit strange. There is aerodynamic interference between the two lifting surfaces which decreases lift made by the bottom wing. So, the top wing in this case is properly sized to capitalize on the better lift achieved by the top wing. Also, you may want to check out park flyer plastics for dummy radial engines. They have quite the array of sizes and shapes that should fit in this application. Their rates aren't bad either.

Thank you, I was wondering about those strange wings and will look at the engines.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Which Dr. 1 motor are you thinking of, the FT one? Or another? Also, what size are you planning on making this airplane? if you're going to make it FT Dr.1 or SE.5a size, then the F pack or A pack should work.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Mmmmmmm, that website seems a bit off to me. I would steer clear. It seems like they're editing together other products and then listing them as their own. I would either get a power pack B if you want to do a plane Baby Blender sized, or start browsing around Hobbyking.

CatholicFlyer

Well step one is on it's way, the Champ and the controller, this way I can study it before my birthday next month. Then begins the re-learning and then the shopping for products to begin this awesome build. @AkimboGlueGuns

CatholicFlyer

Okay, here is the shipping box hobby zone used to ship the champ, I am going to use it for the frame of the Nieuport, then also use foam board and get proper paint sticks and such, glue gun and glue, and begin to build it, I've cut out the tail. @AkimboGlueGuns @Chuppster

Attachments

• WIN_20180811_00_54_08_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180811_00_54_08_Pro.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 0
  • WIN_20180811_00_54_44_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180811_00_54_44_Pro.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0

Chuppster

How do I make a logo or sticker or are there stickers for the 100th Anniversary of the World War One, that would be great to put on the wing or side of the plane. @sprzout @Hai-Lee @cranialrectosis

If you have an inkjet printer you could get some decal paper and print whatever you want on it, then stick it to your airplane. I think that would be the best way.

@AkimboGlueGuns where are the free planes for the regular size blender plane? will respond tomorrow, good night and thanks for all the help.

They don't have plans for the full sized blender released. I built the baby blender and honestly it's probably the best size for a scratch build. However, you may be better off starting with a 120% SE5 and modifying it to look more like the Newport. It'll fly slower and the wings are much simpler.

CatholicFlyer

If you have an inkjet printer you could get some decal paper and print whatever you want on it, then stick it to your airplane. I think that would be the best way.

They don't have plans for the full sized blender released. I built the baby blender and honestly it's probably the best size for a scratch build. However, you may be better off starting with a 120% SE5 and modifying it to look more like the Newport. It'll fly slower and the wings are much simpler.

Awesome @Chuppster thanks for finally answering on the decales, yep got that kind of printer, that question has been there for a while, on the SE5, will check it out, yeah I was looking at the print out for the actual build of the nieuport, where you build it and literally fly it, wings are a tad difficult, tail was super easy.

CatholicFlyer

@Chuppster no wonder the Nieuport is nose heavy, you have th cockpit where the secondary wing struts are on the SE5, the pilot is directly behind the engine, then on the hood of the plane is the dual machine guns and then on top wing is the lewis gun. geeze. what were they thinking in France when designing it.

CatholicFlyer

@Chuppster no wonder the Nieuport is nose heavy, you have th cockpit where the secondary wing struts are on the SE5, the pilot is directly behind the engine, then on the hood of the plane is the dual machine guns and then on top wing is the lewis gun. geeze. what were they thinking in France when designing it.

@DamoRC I just watched Josh build the SE5 and noticed a lot of difference between war birds of world war one.