CatholicFlyer

Attachments

• WIN_20180810_22_15_48_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180810_22_15_48_Pro.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
DSM2 WITH SPEKTRUM 2.4GHZ came with the Champ.

K. That's how I started (Champ, then used the champ controller for my first couple of builds). One thing to note is that this is not a full range transmitter so when you start to use it for other planes you are still going to need to keep them reasonably close and low.

The receiver you linked to is fine but its overkill. Look for DSM2 compatible receivers at LemonRX or Bangood. Or you could get the AR400 (4-channel) for $30 or the AR610 (6 channel) for $40 - both of these are backward compatible with DSM2. The 6 channel would future proof you a little for when you move up to a 6 channel (or more) radio.

DamoRC

Chuppster

If you're looking to stay on a budget I'd get away from Spektrum asap. They are very expensive for the features they offer. If you don't mind paying a premium though, they work well form what I hear.

An FS-i6X or a Taranis QX-7 would be a great investment if you intend to grow into the hobby.

CatholicFlyer

If you're looking to stay on a budget I'd get away from Spektrum asap. They are very expensive for the features they offer. If you don't mind paying a premium though, they work well form what I hear.

An FS-i6X or a Taranis QX-7 would be a great investment if you intend to grow into the hobby.

Thanks all. The first photo is the cardboard frame top wing. Second photo is the cardboard frame bottom wing.

Attachments

• WIN_20180812_00_27_26_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180812_00_27_26_Pro.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
  • WIN_20180812_00_27_07_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180812_00_27_07_Pro.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 0

CatholicFlyer

The nieuport rudder actually from some blue prints shows it on top like so and here is the tail part with elevators.

Attachments

• WIN_20180812_00_32_05_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180812_00_32_05_Pro.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 0
  • WIN_20180812_00_32_27_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180812_00_32_27_Pro.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 0

CatholicFlyer

I am not sure how to modify the SE5 build to put the cockpit up front behind the engine, way the SE5 handled after the build when Josh flew it was perfect. How does one fly a super nose heavy plane, got the engine, battery and cockpit up way front, that is a lot of weight.

Chuppster

I am not sure how to modify the SE5 build to put the cockpit up front behind the engine, way the SE5 handled after the build when Josh flew it was perfect. How does one fly a super nose heavy plane, got the engine, battery and cockpit up way front, that is a lot of weight.

You shouldn't have much trouble balancing it because you can put the battery wherever you'd like. If it's nose-heavy move the battery towards the tail, if it's tail heavy move the battery forward.

Looking at pictures of the Nieuport, if you build it scale your problems are likely to be that the airplane will fly tail heavy because of how little room there is in the nose forward of the wing. For instance, on the Fokker DR1 Josh had to put a lot of extra nose on it (it isn't very scale) and I still couldn't get it to balance on it's own, even with a large battery all the way forward. I had to add even more weight to the nose in order to get it to fly. I do not think the Nieuport will be nose-heavy, rather, I think you should try and get your battery as far forward as possible.

CatholicFlyer

You shouldn't have much trouble balancing it because you can put the battery wherever you'd like. If it's nose-heavy move the battery towards the tail, if it's tail heavy move the battery forward.

Looking at pictures of the Nieuport, if you build it scale your problems are likely to be that the airplane will fly tail heavy because of how little room there is in the nose forward of the wing. For instance, on the Fokker DR1 Josh had to put a lot of extra nose on it (it isn't very scale) and I still couldn't get it to balance on it's own, even with a large battery all the way forward. I had to add even more weight to the nose in order to get it to fly. I do not think the Nieuport will be nose-heavy, rather, I think you should try and get your battery as far forward as possible.

Thanks, why also is the rudder up top on the tail, not as normal on bottom? I got the SE5 design sketched onto the last part of the cardboard, that made the plane huge, also our walmart doesn't have the long sheets of foam board, just short sheets of a 1/4 thick foam board, my dad checked before he came home from work. will the shorter sheets work? I think I can do this plane in stages each pay month I get for medical disability. Also for controller, another guy also said to get away from the expensive controllers, he told me about the Flysky controller

Are they good? thinking since there will be no actual weapons on the plane and of course no pliot, could use the weight of the battery as that up in the nose. @Chuppster @DamoRC

Chuppster

I'm not sure what you mean about the SE5's rudder, it looks normal to me.

What are the dimensions of the foamboard you're Dad got? If it was Elmer's it'll be quite heavy compared to Ross. Some Walmarts don't carry Ross, but most Dollar General/Dollar Tree stores have Adam's and that works too.

My first transmitter was a FlySky I10X and it is great in terms of price/functionality. If it had more mixes I may still be using it. If you're on a tight budget it's a great option as receivers are only $10-$15.

I recently got a Tranis QX-7 for $100 and I find it to be a great radio. The possibilities are more abundant than my imagination. The biggest downside is the receivers are around $30, but if you try and build complex projects I don't think there's a better way to go in terms of price/performance.

I would get away from Spektrum unless you need a user-friendly radio. They charge a premium compared to FrSky/Taranis and FlySky. And trust me, the sooner you switch the easier it is.

CatholicFlyer

I'm not sure what you mean about the SE5's rudder, it looks normal to me.

What are the dimensions of the foamboard you're Dad got? If it was Elmer's it'll be quite heavy compared to Ross. Some Walmarts don't carry Ross, but most Dollar General/Dollar Tree stores have Adam's and that works too.

My first transmitter was a FlySky I10X and it is great in terms of price/functionality. If it had more mixes I may still be using it. If you're on a tight budget it's a great option as receivers are only $10-$15.

I recently got a Tranis QX-7 for $100 and I find it to be a great radio. The possibilities are more abundant than my imagination. The biggest downside is the receivers are around $30, but if you try and build complex projects I don't think there's a better way to go in terms of price/performance.

I would get away from Spektrum unless you need a user-friendly radio. They charge a premium compared to FrSky/Taranis and FlySky. And trust me, the sooner you switch the easier it is.

4X6 1/4 inch thick foam board, small stuff, @Chuppster I have asked him when he goes to town today for some stuff, to check dollar general, we've lost our old glue gun, but still have the glue sticks, so also asked him to get a new one. I will check the Tranis, some complaints people had on Amazon about the Flysky was that sometimes the anntena breaks or had some broken pieces by mail. Not the rudder on the SE5, but the Nieuport, some Nieuports have the rudder uptop on the tail, instead of down below like most planes.

Chuppster

4X6 1/4 inch thick foam board, small stuff

That's pretty small. I don't think it'll be very helpful for building airplanes. The stuff we use is 20" x 30".

we've lost our old glue gun

I got the bigger glue gun from Walmart, it was around $8 I think. I push this big one to it's limit, so if you're thinking of getting one of the little ones be prepared to fight it.

some complaints people had on Amazon about the Flysky

You'll find complaints about any product. I've been using my FlySky for a year now and I can't complain given the price point. You just have to respect it and not try and make it do things it's not meant to (like stringing up the receiver by the antenna). The Taranis is pretty cool though, just prepare yourself to look up a lot of guides on how to use it before you get comfortable with it.

Not the rudder on the SE5, but the Nieuport, some Nieuports have the rudder uptop on the tail, instead of down below like most planes.

I could be wrong, but I think this was pretty common back in WW1. I'm pretty sure the shape is to help it not damage the tail when it's on the ground, given that it's a tail dragger.

CatholicFlyer

That's pretty small. I don't think it'll be very helpful for building airplanes. The stuff we use is 20" x 30".

I got the bigger glue gun from Walmart, it was around $8 I think. I push this big one to it's limit, so if you're thinking of getting one of the little ones be prepared to fight it.

You'll find complaints about any product. I've been using my FlySky for a year now and I can't complain given the price point. You just have to respect it and not try and make it do things it's not meant to (like stringing up the receiver by the antenna). The Taranis is pretty cool though, just prepare yourself to look up a lot of guides on how to use it before you get comfortable with it.

I could be wrong, but I think this was pretty common back in WW1. I'm pretty sure the shape is to help it not damage the tail when it's on the ground, given that it's a tail dragger.

he went to town yesterday, got huge pieces of foam board, got the fusulage and tail put together. wings braced, will be doing servos in the large wing and tail for elevators and rudder. @Chuppster

Attachments

• WIN_20180813_09_01_36_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180813_09_01_36_Pro.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 0
  • WIN_20180813_09_01_39_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180813_09_01_39_Pro.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 0