Plans for a scratch FPV glider?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
hopefully ill get everything together for a fly in in October. I have little less than a month left :O I need to find me some FPV gear!

Get in the air and get comfortable flying LOS. Even after you've got a stable FPV rig, you need to be able to switch back to LOS at a moment's notice, spot your plane in the sky, and get the airframe back to a stable attitude -- FPV doesn't remove your need for basic remote piloting skills. If you're lucky you'll never have to, but you need to be able to do it.

That and FPV gear is a step up in $$$$. Still can be set up inexpensively, but not inexpensive like tape, glue, and a few sheets of foam board ;)

Looking forward to seeing your ideas come to reality!

KLJ4CCH

Yeah, i am looking to get a screen and make a hood. The goggles are not for me, I do not like to screw up my eyes, or even risk it, also for the reason that I can look for my plane just by moving my head back, instead of taking my hands off my transmitter.

my first few flights are gonna be LOS... I have flown many many types of airplanes built by others, I just dont know how my own is gonna react.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ah. Sorry -- thought this was your first plane, not just your first scratch build.

Carry on then!

KLJ4CCH

hahah I have been in the hobby for 10 years now, but I use gear that is 10+ years old too haha, all this new stuff is a tad different.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I think why he was asking was because there are 2 types of standard plugs: JR and Futaba. You should be able to use any type of standard servo and the one you have listed is fine. In fact, that is the one you'll see on most of the FT builds. If you are using an Rx with JR type connections and have Futaba plugs, it will still work. You just need to trim the little tab on the side of the plug and then pay close attention to where the signal wire needs to go. You can't hurt anything if you plug in backwards but the servo will not work plugged in like that.

KLJ4CCH

hey yall,

I have one more update, I tweeked the tail section and had it gliding across my back yard, maybe 15 ft. I threw it from a height of about 3 feet off the ground. SO it went 5 feet for every foot. I don't think that is bad at all It dropped a wing tip maybe once or twice, but majority of the flights it flew straight and landed nicely.

I am gonna buy my eletronics either tonight or tomorrow!!!!!