Plans for Chuck Gliders?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I'm getting ready to do a Maker Faire next month at one of the local Barnes & Noble stores, and figured I'd go spend $30 on some foam board so I could make some planes while I was there demonstrating.

It dawned on me, however, that I could help get kids involved if I did some pre-cut sheets of simple throwing gliders - something that they could see how to make and make their own with parents, if needed. Anyone know of anything like that?

I figure that any planes that kids get to make on their own, and the parents see an interest in, maybe I can get them rolled into RC flight as well. Chuck gliders are the gateway drug to this hobby, right? :)

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
there's the xb-70? I think? t's the valkyrie and there's a thread in which a guy made a chuck glider as a proof of concept. so you could find that one.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Best chuck gliders don't use foam. Download plans for the Sweepette and do some real flying. All others come second to it unless you're ready to use carbon, and even then, the Sweepette 36D is where it's at.

Plan for a larger one.

And Retro R/C's excellent cheap kit for it.

Some kid tossing one around...I think this is all you need to know:

Someone with a little more arm strength:

And an Aussie friend flying the reduced version that I drew up about ten years ago:

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Ok...I was just looking for something that I could put together out of cheap DTFB and have kids assemble them, kind of a "Here kid, have a hit of this gateway drug; next we'll get you building a Simple Cub and then we'll have you mainlining Viggens!" LOL

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Ok...I was just looking for something that I could put together out of cheap DTFB and have kids assemble them, kind of a "Here kid, have a hit of this gateway drug; next we'll get you building a Simple Cub and then we'll have you mainlining Viggens!" LOL

The XB-70 is a nice DTFB glider: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?37200-XB-70-Valkyrie-FT-Style

Doesn't need any extra weight to balance (though reinforcing the nose will help it both survive and balance better) and is one sheet of foam. Looks killer and glides decently, with some adjustments to the canards glides even better. No, it's not going to give 30 second glides like a well built balsa HLG - but in my experience kids would rather have something cool looking they can toss a lot than something small and plain even if it performs better.

The FT Sparrow also works well as a glider (as do the other two they used in the glider golf video) but are more involved builds and take more foam.

Heck I even turned my FT-29 into a chuck glider due to some issues with my first build :D (It glides better with a stronger tosser!)

It's not a great glider by any means...but it is a lot of fun.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I'm working on a 3D printable hook and glider myself. I also be modding Ben's XB-70 (with his permission) to use the glider hook.

Intruder Glider v0.3 - IMG01.png

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Here is the first prototype. I'm still trying to dial in the CG to finalize the plans.

Intruder Glider v0.3 - IMG02.png

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist

Well it takes like 20 minutes to cut out a cheap balsa Chuckie, they're light, and they don't wear the arm out. Give the kids something inspiring.

We're talking about the difference between something that lumbers across the yard and something circling in the clouds. Be willing to change materials when the difference is that significant.

This took me and my two year old 15 minutes:
IMG_20171016_203123.jpg

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Cesna 152 glider too. I will be releasing the files for the hook and the handle rubber launch system on Thingiverse soon.

22664089_1710213759013573_447245207_o.jpg

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Wow that thing is tiny AircPirateNinsei!

20171024_224040.jpg

One thing that wasn't clear from the plans is where the catapult hook is supposed to install. And where the CG should be. I see a small crosshair near the front of the wing but that looks way too forward for the CG...is that where you put the hook? (It's about where I guessed to put it.)

Doesn't have much of a glide hand chucked, but it sure is cute. I'll try it with a launcher tomorrow when it's light out.

I'm really impressed with Dan's Cessna - the only real issue with it is the fuselage is a little weak and easily damaged by excited kids. But I can fit 3 of them on one sheet of foam and they only take a minute or two to glue up. I even modified one with an undercambered airfoil - which seemed to help - but I messed up the incidence on it so it didn't help as much as I'd hoped.

I still have to dig out some balsa and try Josh's suggestion...but that will be for me because I enjoy longer flights ;)

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Yes, it's tiny. I built one with white foamboard for my son (6 years), who then spent some time with coloring it. And as we startet the colored one, the joy was great. Yes, it is not a real glider and needs a catapult start.

I did not determine the center of gravity in the plan. I glued a Eurocent with tape under the nose and tested how it flies best. The result was the place for the weight with the approximate weight. I thought that would be enough for this one.

The small crosshair is for the BBQ skewer. It should be glued in there.

Unfortunately, the flight time is very short and the nose is very susceptible to compression. That doesn't bother my son. He has a lot of fun with it!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Best chuck gliders don't use foam. Download plans for the Sweepette and do some real flying. All others come second to it unless you're ready to use carbon, and even then, the Sweepette 36D is where it's at.

I made about four variations of this design back in the mid 80's when I was in elementary school, and loved them! I could consistently get a toss at a 45 degree angle to loop the airplane over the top of the power lines, and then right itself and do several big lazy circles - bout the size of a baseball diamond - before touching down! I was even able to keep one of them through all the moves over the years, and have it sitting on a shelf. Will post a photo once I get home :)

Thanks for posting this - a great trip down memory lane!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Yes, it's tiny. I built one with white foamboard for my son (6 years), who then spent some time with coloring it. And as we startet the colored one, the joy was great. Yes, it is not a real glider and needs a catapult start.

Yeah, with the catapult it's a lot more fun :D

I did not determine the center of gravity in the plan. I glued a Eurocent with tape under the nose and tested how it flies best. The result was the place for the weight with the approximate weight. I thought that would be enough for this one.

Ok, I put a us Dime (2g) in there and it seemed a little tail heavy, swapped to a penny (~3g) and it seemed better but almost like it could still use a bit more. Tough to say though since it doesn't really "glide" ;)

The small crosshair is for the BBQ skewer. It should be glued in there.
Ahh, thought so...but didn't see it until after I had installed mine a cm or so further forward. Still seems to work though.

Unfortunately, the flight time is very short and the nose is very susceptible to compression. That doesn't bother my son. He has a lot of fun with it!

I "reinforced" the nose by coating the edges with hot glue and then squeeging it off (like FT demonstrates in the build video for the explorer) and so far it seems to be holding up very well. I did squish the sides of the nose on purpose a bit just first to give it some shape ;)

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Scaled Tiny Trainer - One sheet, assemble with tape.

I've been looking for alternate check glider designs to the ones I built with my scouts during a STEM night camp-in. The plans I used are In this forum thread which is a one-sheet scaled down Tiny Trainer.

If flew great and is perfect for a maker show. The cutting is a bit of a pain, but less so if the cutting is done with a laser. Once cut, I can put it together in 10-15 minutes. with a few pieces of tape.

I plan on trying out these designs here to see which is a better fit for my younger cubs. Thanks.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Thanks for the Link! I plan to use this.

If you come to FF South this weekend I'm bringing a trailer full of free flight planes including gliders (gotta build a new one in the next couple days after I lost my best one to stupid ideas).