Plans for the Kolibri high-alpha flyer

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Ive designed a simple delta airplane that can do high-alpha manouvers like no other! Its one of my most fun planes and also easy to build. the pusher setup keeps the prop safe, and the flight envelope of this thing is just unreal!
50032018_392144031560006_3790656273372938240_n.jpg

49572384_392144291559980_580810428892839936_n.jpg

Heres an early version of the build plans, which is drawn by hand. I taped some sheets of paper together, drew the plans on them (1:1), and then scanned each paper, so you get tiled plans. The paper size is A4.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg
7.jpeg

8.jpeg

plan1.jpeg

plan2.jpeg

plan3.jpeg

plan4.jpeg

plan5.jpeg

plan6.jpeg

plan7.jpeg

plan8.jpeg

That must be it. I hope you can use them and have fun with the airplane!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Very nice build. 👍I like the look, coolest canard plane I've seen in a good while. Is that the slender wing I see next to it? How do all those extra air flow surfaces affect its performance? I ask, because I'm still struggling with my own build, and want to know how much something like that would do to improve the design.

Last edited:

Paracodespoder

Elite member
what power-pack are you using in this one? I just might have the right pack available for it ;), looks good and if it runs off an f-pack I might have to build one, only problem is the build list is getting very long :rolleyes:. Also, can we get some specs on it, wingspan, weight, length, etc., you know the drill ;).

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
@Vimana89 yes, its the slender delta! Thanks for your awesome Idea! All the triangles on the wing didnt really do something, but the canards helped reduce wing rock and increase high-alpha stability. But you can try the triangles, they definately didnt do bad things!
@Paracodespoder yes, its the F-pack, but its the european one sold by Graupner, which means Graupner Ultra 2806 motor. And Im using Gemfan 5045 3bladed props.
Specs:
Wingspan: 54cm
Length: 89cm
CG: 22cm after leading edge of the main wing
Weight with 3s 600mah LiPo: 300 gramms
Flighttime with 3s 600mah LiPo: around 7minutes

Also, this is the first time I put out some sort of plans, so I would like to know If they work for you or If they are complete crap. I have no Idea how to make digital plans, so this drawing and scanning could be an easy way for me to create plans.

Vimana89

Legendary member
When I shop around for graupner ultra 2806, I see several voltage options. What KV did you go with? I'm assuming you used the same one on both the slender delta and Kolibri flyer?

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
When I shop around for graupner ultra 2806, I see several voltage options. What KV did you go with? I'm assuming you used the same one on both the slender delta and Kolibri flyer?
Its the exact same electronics, the motor and ESC are the one thar come with the Graupner version of the F-pack, but dont buy the pack If want to be on a budged, at nearly 100€ (in Europe) its extreamely overprized!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Very cool looking design!

And +1 to @jpot1 for offering to digitize - just another example of the awesome community we have around here :D

Any chance we can see some video of these soon? I want to see some crazy high-alpha waggling around :D

jpot1

Elite member
Does this look about right? I was uncertain what you wanted by the hatch area so I took the liberty to make the power pod mount a "C" fold to make the top edge clean. I then made the top hatch a little long so you could adjust on the fly. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• kolibri.pdf
    3.6 KB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
@jpot1 Yes, that would be so awesome! Thank you so much for helping me! I have a video of v1 which has a little different wing. There wasnt good enouth weather to film V2 yet.
But it flies almost the same:
Now that is just awesome. It flies like a champ, and has all the great flight characteristics you could want from that type of plane. Awesome slow flight on high alpha and super crisp and responsive handling. Your flying is also a notch above what I saw on all the other vids I've seen of hp-115, concord and other builds with a similar wing profile, they were flying a bit more conservatively, but you really demonstrate the capabilities of that plane very well.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Also, I just had this feeling the slender delta and Kolibri flyer would be able to bust off a series of consecutive barrel rolls like that. Good stuff.👍

Last edited:

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Does this look about right? I was uncertain what you wanted by the hatch area so I took the liberty to make the power pod mount a "C" fold to make the top edge clean. I then made the top hatch a little long so you could adjust on the fly. Hope this helps!

Verry cool! On the hatch area, I used the C-shaped part to cover the top and hold everything together better.And much much thanks that you did the work for me!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Sorry if this is off topic, couldn't help but notice from the scenery in the vid and given you bought the FT power pack with the Graupner, it seems you live in Germany? Very cool. My mom is from Germany(close by Trier) and my dad was in the air force. If you don't mind me asking, what area are you in? My mom was curious when I showed her the video of your plane.

Brett_N

JPot - thanks for digitizing the plans.

But...Can you shrink them by about 10%? That'll make them DTFB friendly. Got most of one done last night. Need to free draw the wing a little bit to get it to fit.

Yawnsky24

Dr. Looping Looie & Jpot1,

Thanks for the design and for formatting them. I tile printed at 85% to fit to Adams foam board sheets without seams and it worked out great. No changes needed for channels, etc. Built with 9 gram servos and EMAX 2204/2300kv motor. All up weight with 610Mah 3S is 290 grams. Really looking forward to flying as I love the Nutball high alpha flying.

Now if Mother Nature will only cooperate. Will let you know how it flies.

Thanks again!

Jan

Attachments

• IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Dr. Looping Looie & Jpot1,

Thanks for the design and for formatting them. I tile printed at 85% to fit to Adams foam board sheets without seams and it worked out great. No changes needed for channels, etc. Built with 9 gram servos and EMAX 2204/2300kv motor. All up weight with 610Mah 3S is 290 grams. Really looking forward to flying as I love the Nutball high alpha flying.

Now if Mother Nature will only cooperate. Will let you know how it flies.

Thanks again!

Jan

Nice looking build!! :D

@Dr. Looping Looie it's a pretty awesome feeling seeing other people build your designs, isn't it? Sure is one of my favorite things about releasing plans :D