Plans for the Kolibri high-alpha flyer

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
@Yawnsky24 could you post some video?
Maybe you need to cut your a little of your elevons off so that they dont touch the vertical stabs.
My throw is about 45 degrees.
When Im doing the high-alpha thing, I first pull full up-elevator, and then punch the throttle to bring it in a near vertical position. Then I use a little less throttle and control pitch with the throttle. Elevator is full up all the time.
You can control direction with the ailerons.

Good luck!

Yawnsky24

@Dr. Looping Looie my flying buddy is working on the video. I'll post as soon as he has it done.

I have pretty much the same setup, 45+ degrees of throw, fly it on throttle like the Nutball. It does do high Alpha well, just not as floaty as yours looks. I added tape and did not remove any paper so it adds a little weight. It may just be getting the CG on the correct spot. 650 Mah 3S Battery is about as far back as I can reach in the nose but I will try to get it a bit farther back next flight.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
@Yawnsky24 you dont have to remove any paper. It could be a CG issue. If you move your CG back, you will pitch up in faster flight.
One question: do you have any sort of dihedral and did it wing rock in high alpha flight? I added a little dihedral to mine first, but it was overstable and banked all the time. Then I bend the wings down, and now its more stable.
But show your video first before you do any changes.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
@Yawnsky24 awesome! That looked pretty stable, but in the video, you cant see too much. Try holding full up-elevator and then punch the throttle untill its at the angle you want. Then find the sweet spot for your throttle and it should stay at that angle.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
I made some plans on my own. They are made to fit exactly on one sheet of foam, the sheets I have are 74 cm in length. If it doesnt fit on yours, cut the tail of the fuse off and the front part of the wing.

Attachments

• kolibri1.pdf
    181.1 KB · Views: 0
  • kolibri2.pdf
    18.6 KB · Views: 0

L Edge

Master member
DR L L:
Have you thought about using "UDDER RUDDER" located at the CG and see what happens. Would be interested in what it could do. Bet it even should 3D now because you can fight the yaw tendency at high alpha's.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
DR L L:
Have you thought about using "UDDER RUDDER" located at the CG and see what happens. Would be interested in what it could do. Bet it even should 3D now because you can fight the yaw tendency at high alpha's.
I could try it, but I think a rudder located at the CG has no effect on the yaw axis. The yaw controll at high alpha is pretty good, because the roll axis becomes the yaw axis if you turn the plane 90 degrees. Did you put the udder rudder on the CG on your FT 22?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I don't know what I did wrong the first go, but I raised up the motor so the prop doesn't strike, about 2 foam layers, and off it went, I had reversed elevator... working on a vid. really was fun to fly. (a project is only dead AFTER it gets a good maiden.) this has. it was easy to build, worth doing again.

Last edited: