Plans

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Normally get the full sized plans, (not tiled), and use the tile print function in Acrobat to get the printing done right first time!

it works for me!

Have fun!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
unless you have a BIG printer or want to pay for large prints, get the tiled. then just make sure when you print to set a custom scale to 100%. you can do this in your "print" window when it opens on your computer.

good luck,

me :cool:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Well you guys are being real helpful! I typically print the Tiles plans onto normal office paper (8x11). Like mrjdstewart said, the full plans are for people with big printers.
I disagree! Due to printer margins and other setup parameters you might find that you have problems with the print.

The forum pages are full of such complaints and problems!

If you let Acrobat do the tiled print for you it reads your printer settings and adjusts accordingly!

Anyway each to his own but I do not like wasting paper doing multiple prints to get the printer settings correct. I just print once, assemble once and use the plans as many times as I require.

Have fun!

jtrops

Both methods work fine; however, using your computers tiling function from the full sized plan has been more reliable for me. Printing the tiled version can be a headache when you realize that your printer scaled down the prints. Also, at least my computer takes the "non-printable area" into account when it produces the tiles. If you print pre-tiled pages it assumes that it needs to scale down to avoid the "non-printable area."

On the other hand it's cheap to have a full sized single color print made at Staples. It is usually around $3/page for what they call a "blueprint." I reconfigure the Flitetest plans in Photoshop so that the parts fit onto the page more efficiently. Since I make templates from the plans I don't make left and right versions of wings and things that have a mirrored version. I just flip the template when I'm laying it out on the FB.

Namactual

Elite member
Often times they are essentially the same layout, the only difference being the “tiled” prints are already cut into pieces suitable for most home printer sizes. A4 or US letter.

As Hai-Lee stated, you can open the full prints in a program like Adobe Acrobat and use the poster print function to spit the print to fit any size paper you would like to use.

On the other hand, I specifically set my full size prints with a different layout than I do with tiled. When I lay the tiled prints out I do it in such away that minimizes cutting and taping seams even if it means wasted paper.

I would use the pre-tiled plans if you plan to print to A4 or US Letter sized paper. If you have a very odd size paper, or have access to a wide format printer use the full size plans and acrobat to cut them for you if need be.

Just remember most printers default to "fit to page" printing. You always want to make sure you set the printer to 100% scale when printing plans.

Namactual

Elite member
Tip:
Always print a test sheet and measure the usually supplied witness marks to make sure the scale is correct before you print the entire set and or start the build.

If you have any questions ask away and someone here will answer ASAP. :)