Playing with my GOPRO and TwinStar

John Campbell

I was out yesterday, and the wind got up on me a little bit. Had a great approach coming in and then gust got under my wing. Cart Wheeled the plane, camera departed. Looks much worse that it really was. The plane winged over once, and camera departed a/c. Great Footage and a testament to what the GoPro cameras can handle. See it here.

More videos coming soon now that the weather is getting better for flying.

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
Very nice view with those two props but the center still being clear!
Too bad about that landing, but fortunately no damage.
Is it me or does the left wing has more flex than the right one?

Nice video. It took me a while to figure out how to fill the whole YouTube screen area. You have to upload your video in 720p format (1280x720). Put the GoPro in 720p mode and you're all set.
By the way, donch'a wish they would make a more streamlined GoPro? It's like a brick sitting there disturbing the airflow. Maybe they could at least put the lens on the side of the camera so it's more narrow.

John Campbell

Very nice view with those two props but the center still being clear!
Too bad about that landing, but fortunately no damage.
Is it me or does the left wing has more flex than the right one?

Both flex the same, the difference is that the the Camera was mounted on the right wing.

John Campbell

Nice video. It took me a while to figure out how to fill the whole YouTube screen area. You have to upload your video in 720p format (1280x720). Put the GoPro in 720p mode and you're all set.
By the way, donch'a wish they would make a more streamlined GoPro? It's like a brick sitting there disturbing the airflow. Maybe they could at least put the lens on the side of the camera so it's more narrow.

I was hoping no one noticed. The problem was not the upload. Problem is that I had the camera set for the wrong resolution. That was my bust. next one will be better.

fred0000

great video, and a very nice flying area you have there.
the aproach to landing was looking good, I didn't think that was going to be the part where the crash was, glad everything made it out more or less OK.

John Campbell

great video, and a very nice flying area you have there.
the aproach to landing was looking good, I didn't think that was going to be the part where the crash was, glad everything made it out more or less OK.

Problem was just as I was about 1" off the ground a big gust came 90 degrees from me and caused a cart wheel. Major unpredicted gust.

John Campbell

Where is a reliable place online to buy a GoPro at?

$299.99 at Best Buy. I have also seen them at Target. Everywhere is pretty much the same price. If you mount it on top of a plane, would recommend tethering it somehow to the a/c in case it comes off in flight... Could hurt someone on its landing... :) the video would have been a lot if I had set the camera up correctly. I goofed up because of being in a hurry and not thinking.

John Campbell

Hi John- Check out the Layer Lens if you want to lose having to haul that waterproof housing around.

The Twinstar has plenty of power and had no changes in Handling. Like was not even there... Plus if it had flown off during that landing the camera would have been toast. I was actually testing for water on my PBY, so it was more testing than anything. Thanks for the info. I had already looked at that, and it is a good idea.