Please assist me!

stud22

Hello, everyone!

I'm new to drones, so could you guys please assist me? Because of my lack of electrical engineering skills, I've done some research and am wondering if the following parts would work together:

YoungRC F450 Drone Frame Kit 450mm Quadcopter Frame Kit with Landing Skid Gear 4-Axis Airframe

DJI F450 X525 Quadcopter Multirotor Emax MT2213-935KV 2212 CW CCW Brushless Motor

RAYCorp 1045 10x4.5 Performance Propellers RAYCorp 1045 10x4.5 Performance Propellers RAYCorp 1045 10x4.5 Black & Red, 10-inch Quadcopter and Multirotor Props, Bonus Battery Strap, 8 Pieces (4 CW, 4 CCW)

ESC 3A UBEC with XT60 & 3.5mm bullet connectors 30A RC Brushless Motor Electric Speed Controller

Open Source for Standard Version Readytosky 3DR Radio Telemetry Kit 915Mhz 100mW Air + Ground Module Readytosky 3DR Radio Telemetry Kit 915Mhz 100mW Air + Ground Module Readytosky 3DR Radio Telemetry Kit 915M Pixhawk APM2.6 APM2.8 2.4.6.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8 Flight

Compatible RC Airplane, Helicopter, FPV Drone POVWAY 4S 14.8V 1500mAh LiPo Battery 80C with XT60 Plug

PDB-XT60 Power Distribution Board with BEC 5V&12V for FPV Racing Quadcopter by FPVDrone Matek

NEO-6M NEO-6M GPS Module Receiver, Navigation Satellite Positioning (Arduino GPS, Drone Microcontroller, GPS Receiver) Compatible with 51 Microcontroller STM32 Arduino UNO R3 with Antenna STM32 Arduino UNO R3 with Antenna STM32 Arduino UNO R3 with Antenna Extreme Sensitivity

I'm also curious in how I'd go about coding the drone and how I'd go about connecting a camera to it.

Thank you, and please assist me!
https://router-net.com/pt

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
most definitely not.
  • you don't have a flight controller there that I can see
  • you have a single ESC (you need 4 of them for a quad) [and you want a quad type ESC, not all plane type ESCs can do dshot - which you want for a quad]
  • right on the motors (that come up on amazon for that search), they indicate 3s can swing a 10x4.5 prop, but only an 8x4.5 prop on 4s (you have a 4s battery listed)

What type of 'drone' are you trying to build? I would suggest starting with a suggested build or a kit vs trying to part everything out yourself just by picking random parts off of a website.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
most definitely not.
  • you don't have a flight controller there that I can see
  • you have a single ESC (you need 4 of them for a quad) [and you want a quad type ESC, not all plane type ESCs can do dshot - which you want for a quad]
  • right on the motors (that come up on amazon for that search), they indicate 3s can swing a 10x4.5 prop, but only an 8x4.5 prop on 4s (you have a 4s battery listed)

What type of 'drone' are you trying to build? I would suggest starting with a suggested build or a kit vs trying to part everything out yourself just by picking random parts off of a website.

Looks to me like he's trying to build a photography/videography drone.

If you're going to go that route, I'll be honest - don't waste your money trying to build something that duplicates the DJI Mini 2 or Mavic quality. You won't be able to come in for the same quality and performance, and it's just less of a headache.

CAN you build one cheaper? Absolutely. Is it going to have the same quality? HECK no. One of the first things you'll find with trying to fly a DIY quad is that they're a pain to get dialed in for programming if you've never done it before. Then there's the quality of the images on some of the cheaper, smaller camera systems - if you're flying it via FPV, you'll be looking at a system that isn't digital unless you spend $600-$800, which is already more than the cost of a DJI Mini 2. That leaves you with going to an external camera, like a GoPro or other action camera, which will be a fixed mount - meaning that it's stuck at a particular angle that the Multirotor is flying at, and can't do any panning of the camera.

To do panning of the camera, you'll need a motorized gimbal, and another system to steer the camera while the Multirotor is flying, unless you have a switch of some sort to set the Multirotor into a hover mode/follow mode, and then while it's doing the follow, you can steer the camera. That too, gets tricky, because if it's flying and it doesn't have object avoidance systems, it'll fly right into a tree/building/vehicle/aircraft/hillside/person/object and it'll end up broken while you're looking backwards/sideways/underneath your Multirotor.

For $450, you can get a DJI Mini 2, which will do what you want, and is preconfigured out of the box for photography/videography, will have follow modes to follow you around, and it'll take 4k video at 30 fps. Plus, it comes with a battery, transmitter, extra props, charger - everything you need all in one package.

While I'm not wild about DJI products, for what it seems like you're wanting to do, this is the best solution I can see, especially for the price.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Looks to me like he's trying to build a photography/videography drone.
Absolutely a reasonable assumption, I just like to avoid assumptions were possible.

I also agree that just getting a DJI is most likely a better choice for many/most people who are trying to do photo/videography.

sprzout

Mentor
Absolutely a reasonable assumption, I just like to avoid assumptions were possible.

I also agree that just getting a DJI is most likely a better choice for many/most people who are trying to do photo/videography.

Yeah - for the cost, the ease of setup, the programmable functionality for things like "follow me" and object avoidance that many of the DJI products have, plus the higher quality cameras - it is, in my opinion, the better way to go if you want something for photography. I watched a guy at our field try to set up a GPS unit on a photography drone he'd bought, and he FOUGHT with it - at one point, he nearly overflew the freeway about 100 yards to the left of our runway, because he couldn't get the GPS to work properly. With the setup for DJI, it's pretty much a no brainer since it has most of that built in and programmed in house.

I'm not a fan of their products because they're making so easy for people to get into them and fly them where they're not supposed to, doing things they're not supposed to do, that it makes the rest of us hobbyists look bad, and so it's left something of a bad taste in my mouth, but they're good at what they sell.

Phin G

Elite member
Yeah - for the cost, the ease of setup, the programmable functionality for things like "follow me" and object avoidance that many of the DJI products have, plus the higher quality cameras - it is, in my opinion, the better way to go if you want something for photography. I watched a guy at our field try to set up a GPS unit on a photography drone he'd bought, and he FOUGHT with it - at one point, he nearly overflew the freeway about 100 yards to the left of our runway, because he couldn't get the GPS to work properly. With the setup for DJI, it's pretty much a no brainer since it has most of that built in and programmed in house.

I'm not a fan of their products because they're making so easy for people to get into them and fly them where they're not supposed to, doing things they're not supposed to do, that it makes the rest of us hobbyists look bad, and so it's left something of a bad taste in my mouth, but they're good at what they sell.
My dad has a dji and i have a kwad, it is so easy to fly the dji but when you fly full acro my dad turns it into a lawn dart. Dji product are good if you want easy flying and camera drones but bad if you want to get into the fpv hobby.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Hello, everyone!

I'm new to drones, so could you guys please assist me? Because of my lack of electrical engineering skills, I've done some research and am wondering if the following parts would work together:

YoungRC F450 Drone Frame Kit 450mm Quadcopter Frame Kit with Landing Skid Gear 4-Axis Airframe

DJI F450 X525 Quadcopter Multirotor Emax MT2213-935KV 2212 CW CCW Brushless Motor

RAYCorp 1045 10x4.5 Performance Propellers RAYCorp 1045 10x4.5 Performance Propellers RAYCorp 1045 10x4.5 Black & Red, 10-inch Quadcopter and Multirotor Props, Bonus Battery Strap, 8 Pieces (4 CW, 4 CCW)

ESC 3A UBEC with XT60 & 3.5mm bullet connectors 30A RC Brushless Motor Electric Speed Controller

Open Source for Standard Version Readytosky 3DR Radio Telemetry Kit 915Mhz 100mW Air + Ground Module Readytosky 3DR Radio Telemetry Kit 915Mhz 100mW Air + Ground Module Readytosky 3DR Radio Telemetry Kit 915M Pixhawk APM2.6 APM2.8 2.4.6.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8 Flight

Compatible RC Airplane, Helicopter, FPV Drone POVWAY 4S 14.8V 1500mAh LiPo Battery 80C with XT60 Plug

PDB-XT60 Power Distribution Board with BEC 5V&12V for FPV Racing Quadcopter by FPVDrone Matek

NEO-6M NEO-6M GPS Module Receiver, Navigation Satellite Positioning (Arduino GPS, Drone Microcontroller, GPS Receiver) Compatible with 51 Microcontroller STM32 Arduino UNO R3 with Antenna STM32 Arduino UNO R3 with Antenna STM32 Arduino UNO R3 with Antenna Extreme Sensitivity

I'm also curious in how I'd go about coding the drone and how I'd go about connecting a camera to it.

hey, I have a cheap and good idea for you. start off with the bugs 3, adn then slowly upgrade it with whatever fancy controllers you want, and it is a ver sturdy, cheap platform

sprzout

Mentor
My dad has a dji and i have a kwad, it is so easy to fly the dji but when you fly full acro my dad turns it into a lawn dart. Dji product are good if you want easy flying and camera drones but bad if you want to get into the fpv hobby.

That's exactly what my feeling is. They're two totally different things. The DJI is like a Uhaul truck - it gets things from one place to another, and is a utility platform. It does that one thing fairly well. The racing quads are more like a 2 seater Ferrari - they go fast, but they're not made for much else.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Hello, everyone!

If you are building a DIY photo drone, I would advice you not to bother. There is no way you will be able to match the stability (much less the features) of a low end DJI photo drone (e.g. Mavic Mini 2). If you want a basher/FPV drone, 10" inch props on 2212 motors is going to be seriously lacking in power. It will hover and ascend/descend, but that is about all.