Please help ID these balsa models

checkerboardflyer

I found an old album in one of our closets. It was full of pics of balsa models that I built many years ago. Most of them I could name, but not these two. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Scan 33.jpeg
Scan 33.jpeg
Scan 34.jpeg
Scan 37.jpeg
Scan 38.jpeg

checkerboardflyer

Beautiful models. Thanks for sharing your photos. I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of your airplanes.

Thanks. My Dad was a modeler all of his life. When he started in the hobby free flight was the only option. Then later there was u-control. So at one point I was a ukie flyer. Models included the Zilch, Ringmaster, Flite Streak, and others. He was a tool and die maker by trade so when he built a balsa model he held the same standards as when he was at work. He was really a master builder and he taught me most of my modeling skills. More important than that he taught me to take pride in my work and to not take shortcuts in building. Here are some pics of other models that I built. Several years ago I switched from building models using balsa to using foam board. I have a blog where I provide tips and resources to modelers like me who are interested in learning the new skills needed for foam board modeling. My blog is HERE. Thanks again.
Scan 2.jpeg
Scan 5.jpeg
Scan 9.jpeg
Scan 21.jpeg
Scan 26.jpeg
Scan 28.jpeg
Scan 29.jpeg
Scan 39.jpeg
Scan 40.jpeg
Scan 41.jpeg

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Thanks. My Dad was a modeler all of his life. When he started in the hobby free flight was the only option. Then later there was u-control. So at one point I was a ukie flyer. Models included the Zilch, Ringmaster, Flite Streak, and others. He was a tool and die maker by trade so when he built a balsa model he held the same standards as when he was at work. He was really a master builder and he taught me most of my modeling skills. More important than that he taught me to take pride in my work and to not take shortcuts in building. Here are some pics of other models that I built. Several years ago I switched from building models using balsa to using foam board. I have a blog where I provide tips and resources to modelers like me who are interested in learning the new skills needed for foam board modeling. My blog is HERE. Thanks again. View attachment 169890 View attachment 169891 View attachment 169892 View attachment 169893 View attachment 169894 View attachment 169895 View attachment 169896 View attachment 169897 View attachment 169898 View attachment 169899
Please tell me that blue Pietenpol is still around. If I wasn't already poor from buying other planes I'd shell out a considerable amount of bucks just for the engine alone. FS60 open rockers aren't easy to find.

vhandon

305929_c84ef2aa13b30c60e943047d9f562862.jpeg

I almost bought one of these 25 years ago. Cant remember the name of it now but I still want one.

checkerboardflyer

Please tell me that blue Pietenpol is still around. If I wasn't already poor from buying other planes I'd shell out a considerable amount of bucks just for the engine alone. FS60 open rockers aren't easy to find.

The blue Pietenpol is long gone. The engine is probably an Enya 40 4 cycle. The other beige Pietenpol has an OS 60 4 cycle with closed rockers. The open rocker type of engine occasionally comes up for sale on ebay. Do a search for what you want, then save the search. You will be notified when such an item appears. For example, the engine below is a brand new one. Click this LINK to go to the ebay page. This auction ends in less that 24 hours. I am writing this at 2:30 PM on Memorial Day Chicago time.

saito-fa-30.jpg

Last edited:

checkerboardflyer

Beautiful models. Thanks for sharing your photos. I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of your airplanes.

So at one point I was making a transition from balsa to foam board. These are my hybrid foam board / balsa models. The FT Simple Scout was the perfect platform to include balsa sticks in the fuselage to give the model that vintage look. More tips and resources for foam board modelers on my blog HERE.
IMG_0383.jpeg
IMG_0385.jpeg
IMG_0381.jpeg

Last edited: