Please Help On first build

ZeroFly3r

I recently decided to try and build my first quad, I have the motors, esc's, and PDB all wired up but am unsure on how I should setup the Flight Controller (Naze32 Rev6). I also encountered a problem when i plugged the LiPo in... it started to smoke. I've double checked all my wiring and nothing seems to be shorted out. The battery in question was an old 2 cell from my Blade CX2 i just wanted to see if things were working. Any assistance would be much appreciated, I'm afraid that I've gotten in over my head.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Welcome to Flitetest, ZeroFly3r.

Smoke is almost never good. It usually means something isn't connected right. :)

If the Naze smoked, you are going to need a new one. Don't bother with a full Naze. It isn't worth it. Get the Acro board.

Please take good high res photos showing the connections in detail and post it. Also let us know the specs of your build.

What component(s) smoked?

Hang in there.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
just keep trying you'll get it a cranialrectosis said post pics its hard to help when you don't know whats shorted
keep at it
-Airhawk

ZeroFly3r

Thanks, at work now but I'll post pictures later. Was talking with a guy at work, we think I may have fried the battery when cutting the battery leads by shorting it out. Would this ruin the battery? From my observations the only thing that smoked was the battery.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Shorting the leads on a lipo is VERY dangerous.

Get that lipo out of your house and dispose of it properly (not in the trash). It is a VERY dangerous fire hazard after a short/smoke.

I am totally serious here. Go straight home and get it out of your house and away from your pets and family. Never use it again.

Build one of these before you connect another lipo to your copter.

Even if the build is perfect and the next lipo works flawlessly, we still like the pictures. :) We like video even more. :D

One last tip. When changing connectors on a lipo, do one side at a time. Never expose both the positive and negative leads simultaneously. Get one lead completely soldered and covered in heat shrink before you trim insulation on the other. :)

airhawk

Crashing Ace
Shorting the leads on a lipo is VERY dangerous.

Get that lipo out of your house and dispose of it properly (not in the trash). It is a VERY dangerous fire hazard after a short/smoke.

I am totally serious here. Go straight home and get it out of your house and away from your pets and family. Never use it again.

Build one of these before you connect another lipo to your copter.

Even if the build is perfect and the next lipo works flawlessly, we still like the pictures. :) We like video even more. :D

One last tip. When changing connectors on a lipo, do one side at a time. Never expose both the positive and negative leads simultaneously. Get one lead completely soldered and covered in heat shrink before you trim insulation on the other. :)

i should probably do that :D

ZeroFly3r

20151124_194926.jpeg 20151124_195257.jpeg 20151124_201208.jpeg

Here is the build, thanks for the help. My new battery comes with an XT60 already attached! And that battery will be properly disposed of.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Sorry about your lipo. :(

Glad we know root cause.

Nice copter.

Hey! I recognize that digital scale! :)