Pod and boom designs?

Turbojoe

Elite member
I have piles of balsa kits waiting to be built and many other balsa planes done and just waiting for maiden. I'm Jonesing for something really different though. I've progressed way beyond trainers but I kinda like the looks and simplicity of Pod and Boom type aircraft. No interest in FPV video so that's out! I have a bunch of CF tube as well as a forest of balsa wood. I have ZERO desire to use any foam of ANY type so that's out. I haven't found many good Pod and Boom plans even on Aerofred.com etc... I have my daughters 3D printer so can make some parts as needed as long as I have an idea.... Because most pod and boom are pusher configuration I'm hesitant to just throw something together and spend crash after crash trying to get the thrust angle and COG right. I'd prefer to work with a proven design and modify from there if needed.

Anyone have plan files or links for BALSA pod and boom that are .25-.40 size?

Joe

Paracodespoder

Elite member
You could do something like this, with a carbon fiber tail boom, or you could modify this to be a powered glider (I have built one of these and I gotta say, it’s a pretty nice glider except when you don’t mount the wings very well and they fly away by themselves on launch :rolleyes:)

Turbojoe

Elite member
That's kinda/sorta close but not exactly what I'm looking for. There are a ton of cheap plastic pod and boom planes out there but maybe nothing good enough to warrant a full on balsa build?

I remember about 10+ years ago doing a maiden on a pod and boom (don't remember the name but was very well known) for a newbie. To me it was crappy, cheap plastic junk but the bloody thing flew well once I got the CG right! I flew two "test" packs before I finally turned it over to the owner. I just like the "pod" idea. Nice and clean with everything in one place and the rest of the bird as light as possible.

Joe

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Pod and Boom is a very very broad category indeed.
They can be tractor, pusher, separate power pod, EDF, Single engine, Twin engine or even three engine designs.
Also they can have a single boom, twin boom, or even an open multi element boom/cage.
There is also the fact that they could be monoplane or biplane.
Landing gear could be absent or either taildragger or tricycle.

If you could refine your requirements then perhaps someone could point you to where you could find the correct set of plans!

Have fun!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Wow! You tossed a LOT of options out there. It seriously doesn't have to be that complicated. Pod and Boom. That's all. Pretty simple. I'm open to just about anything. Just need a "POD" that houses all the servos/RX/ESC/ etc. Motor? Who knows where it will be mounted. Tractor/pusher/wing mounted etc.....

I simply want a slow/fun/trainer type fun 4 channel airplane.

Joe

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Wow! You tossed a LOT of options out there. It seriously doesn't have to be that complicated. Pod and Boom. That's all. Pretty simple. I'm open to just about anything. Just need a "POD" that houses all the servos/RX/ESC/ etc. Motor? Who knows where it will be mounted. Tractor/pusher/wing mounted etc.....

I simply want a slow/fun/trainer type fun 4 channel airplane.

Joe
This plane has free plans and can use a "40" is it close to your ideal?

Scooter4.jpg

Have fun!

Turbojoe

Elite member
This is the design type I'm mainly interested in. LINK. It's long discontinued but I wouldn't buy it anyway. I'd like to build it from balsa rather than blow molded plastic. Heck, I even took a look at all the 450 size helicopters I have laying around and I'm starting to think one of them could be the starting point of a build. I could replace all the heavy aluminum bits with uncomplicated 3D printed structural parts and keep the carbon fiber frame. Hmmmm........

Joe

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Not to be disagreeable but you are making a mistake by not using foam board. FB is far more resilient than balsa. A FB plane will survive a crash that would destroy a balsa plane.

TooJung2Die

Master member
This is the design type I'm mainly interested in. LINK. Joe

Hey that looks almost exactly like the RTF "Firebird Phantom" I bought about ten years ago. It soured me on RC to the point I almost gave up the hobby. Then I found Flite Test and the rest, as they say, is history.

Firebird Phantom.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
This sounds like a good opportunity to go full scratch build and work up your own design to meet the specs you're looking for :D

Ny Ellebjerg

I have piles of balsa kits waiting to be built and many other balsa planes done and just waiting for maiden. I'm Jonesing for something really different though. I've progressed way beyond trainers but I kinda like the looks and simplicity of Pod and Boom type aircraft. No interest in FPV video so that's out! I have a bunch of CF tube as well as a forest of balsa wood. I have ZERO desire to use any foam of ANY type so that's out. I haven't found many good Pod and Boom plans even on Aerofred.com etc... I have my daughters 3D printer so can make some parts as needed as long as I have an idea.... Because most pod and boom are pusher configuration I'm hesitant to just throw something together and spend crash after crash trying to get the thrust angle and COG right. I'd prefer to work with a proven design and modify from there if needed.

Anyone have plan files or links for BALSA pod and boom that are .25-.40 size?

Joe
RCME did a brilliant plan for an all - balsa saab j21 which would be a very unusual plane to build

Ny Ellebjerg

Not to be disagreeable but you are making a mistake by not using foam board. FB is far more resilient than balsa. A FB plane will survive a crash that would destroy a balsa plane.
agreed, but building with balsa with not only give you a nicer, more realistic finish but also a huge amount of satisfaction of spending months building your plane and flying it afterwards :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Looking at the suggestions and letting my goofy mind wander...

Would something like the Icon A5 fit the bill? Its not full on pod n boom but fairly close with elegant lines to challenge you build skills.

Or more pod n boom the EDRA Aeronautica Super Pétrel

Turbojoe

Elite member
This plane has free plans and can use a "40" is it close to your ideal?

View attachment 124211

Have fun!

What plane is that so I can look for the plans? I think I could make something work from that.

Don't know why I'm stuck on the pod and boom design now other than it's just something different. I remember there was a wildly popular pod and boom bARF about 15 years ago. I thought they were toys until a guy showed up at the field and asked me to maiden his. After preflight and fixing a few things I couldn't believe how well the thing flew on the maiden!

Joe

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Joe,

It is called the Scooter_IV from RCM

Plan and article from Outerzone

Find plan attached

Have fun!

Attachments

• RCM_Scooter_IV_RCM790_oz5865.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Turbojoe

Elite member
Joe,

It is called the Scooter_IV from RCM

Plan and article from Outerzone

Find plan attached

Have fun!

Thanks for the info and the link. Turns out I already had the file in my plan library. Just couldn't remember the name. I'm bored with all the other projects I'm in the middle of so I guess it's time to start yet another build....

I'm way beyond trainers and intermediate planes but still have a strong fondness for all those great flying high wing birds. I have well over 50+ flyable aircraft of all types but if I could only fly one it would easily be the Mike Molt designed/Mountain Models Tyro 150. (The picture on the MM site of the white Tyro 150 w/stripes landing is the prototype kit I got from Mike Molt in 2007). It is still 100% flyable! My single most enjoyable airplane to fly. I have two built Tyro 150's and two built Mike Molt designed Tyro 100's. One of my Tyro 150's and Tyro 100's have had flaps added for even more fun.

It's fun to hear other pilots ooh and awe at the show both Tyro's can put on. Keep the throttle low and they're pussycats. Crank the throttle and they'll do things "trainers" aren't supposed to be capable of. I still have a third Tyro 150 wing kit AND a full kit N.I.B. kit If I EVER manage to crash one beyond repair I'm all set to build another.

Hope to look into the Scooter closer as a new project soon.

Joe

Last edited: