Podcast content is good, Audio is not. Some ideas....

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
FT Guys(FTAfterhours too),
I really enjoy listening to the FT podcasts, the vast majority of my driving listening is to podcasts and learning about the hobby and laughing along with 'I've been there' crash stories makes for great listening. However...the audio levels are making the podcast unlistenable.

During the latest, FT105, podcast I finally decided I need to comment so that you guys can hopefully get the issue fixed and keep pumping out great content, that people can hear.

The issue is the audio level, or volume. Driving to work today in my truck I had to turn my radio to MAX volume (62 on scale of 0-62, normal podcast listening is around 35). I downloaded the audio file and opened it in Audacity and it is immediately obvious that the levels are low. Additionally you can notice that there are a few spots where the volume got rather loud (by comparison) and then quiet again. I have included a screenshot of Audacity, the top is the FT105.mp3 and the bottom is another podcast I listen to NoAgendaShow.com. I did nothing to these files other than open them in Audacity.

FTP105audiolevels_zpspmzx3dd7.png

Notice how the volume level is about even, and much higher on the lower waveform, this means lower output device volume needed. It also means that the listener doesn't need to adjust the volume throughout their listening.

The best way to achieve this is to monitor the levels during recording so that you don't need to go back and post-produce, but that does take a bit of work. That said, some quick post-production would help out immensely in making the podcast a more enjoyable listening experience for all.

Thanks guys, keep up the great content!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
. . . or FT can look into an "Audio Compressor". That's the automatic tool that normalizes the volume -- handy while recording, so somebody doesn't have to be constantly jockeying the volume knob . . .

. . . or Audacity has a built in Compressor filter under "effect". I've been able to post-process entire Audiobooks through it (a pain, but I couldn't stand the narrator screaming in my ear after I turned up the volume to hear her :p ), with good results. Someone just has to do it.

Hadn't noticed the "whisper-and-shout" in the podcast, but yeah, now that you've pointed it out, it's gotta go :black_eyed:

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
. . . or FT can look into an "Audio Compressor". That's the automatic tool that normalizes the volume -- handy while recording, so somebody doesn't have to be constantly jockeying the volume knob . . .

. . . or Audacity has a built in Compressor filter under "effect". I've been able to post-process entire Audiobooks through it (a pain, but I couldn't stand the narrator screaming in my ear after I turned up the volume to hear her :p ), with good results. Someone just has to do it.

Hadn't noticed the "whisper-and-shout" in the podcast, but yeah, now that you've pointed it out, it's gotta go :black_eyed:

I wish my computer and TV had that feature built in. No more screaming commercials. There's something to be said about an audio track that doesn't sound like every action movie ever made.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
What I sometimes find disturbing is when there are devices making a "bing" sound in the podcast. I'm always looking at my mobile if I got a new message or similar :)... With the microphones you are using you can also notice _any_ other sounds like typing on a keyboard or even rustling papers.

And Andre might need a headset when he turns around to show a Tundra in the video feed for example ;-).

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I admit that this bothers me as well. Many podcasters fail to make sure the levels are correct.
The best thing is to have a dedicated sound engineer to ride the levels as they record, but that almost never happens with the budgets most podcasters have (zero).
Alternatively the podcasters can adjust it in post before they upload it.
It's quite easy with a tool like Audacity. Load the track and NORMALIZE it. It's very quick and easy.
Most often the levels are too low. I have to raise the output on my phone and the boost the radio up as well.
These guys aren't professionals and the podcast is free, so I feel we should cut them some slack.
They will get better with practice.

nevenelestate-
There are Apps for your smartphone that can do this for you. I know you shouldn't have to, but it's better than nothing.

Best regards,
PCH

Mcrae3006

I love catching the latest podcast in my truck as I head home from work. I too have to have the audio system maxed out, and even then, sometimes it is hard to hear. I understand what pHugger is saying about the FT guys not being professional broadcasters, but if it's a simple fix then it's good for the crew to be aware of the issues. If it's not a simple fix, then I am sure us listeners can live with it. We just appreciate the content that FT puts out there.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I'm going to charge lipo packs during the show just to mess with you then <evil grin>

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Thanks Andre.
I know it's an extra step, but it's not hard and pretty fast.
It might only add a minute or two to the workflow.
I don't know what software tools you guys have available at the FT Podcast Studios.
AUDACITY is completely free and will do the job perfectly.
Someone (Chris?) is doing some editing and these two steps won't be burdensome.
The Audio Editing software that He is already using may have these functions built-in.
Load the track and COMPRESS it. Your goal is to knock down any outlying peaks on the high end.
Next NORMALIZE it which sets all the levels to just below 0db and then SAVE.
There are some adjustable properties, but it's that easy.
Your Podcast will always be the same Level and the Highs & Lows will be smoothed out.
Thanks for what you do.

Best regards,
PCH

crash1414

FTafterhours podcast host
Thanks Andre.
I know it's an extra step, but it's not hard and pretty fast.
It might only add a minute or two to the workflow.
I don't know what software tools you guys have available at the FT Podcast Studios.
AUDACITY is completely free and will do the job perfectly.
Someone (Chris?) is doing some editing and these two steps won't be burdensome.
The Audio Editing software that He is already using may have these functions built-in.
Load the track and COMPRESS it. Your goal is to knock down any outlying peaks on the high end.
Next NORMALIZE it which sets all the levels to just below 0db and then SAVE.
There are some adjustable properties, but it's that easy.
Your Podcast will always be the same Level and the Highs & Lows will be smoothed out.
Thanks for what you

Best regards,
PCH

Thanks for the insite. I've been working hard lately on the Afterhours sound quality and haven't heard any complaints recently but I will look into Audacity and see if it helps thanks for the feedback. We are working hard to improve the podcast in all aspects. So I'll add this to the list and we are continuing to improve the live YouTube feed. Thanks- Chris

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
These guys aren't professionals and the podcast is free, so I feel we should cut them some slack.
They will get better with practice.

Cutting some slack? They've recorded at least over 9000 podcasts now. They should be pros by now. These are rookie mistakes that are easily avoidable!

:p

What we are doing here is "high-class grumbling"(?) and the guys hopefully know that. :)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Chris, it might be interesting to learn what hard- and software you are using for the podcasts. Since I always see so many Apple hardware, it might be Garage Band?

crash1414

FTafterhours podcast host
Chris, it might be interesting to learn what hard- and software you are using for the podcasts. Since I always see so many Apple hardware, it might be Garage Band?

Yes that is what we record the podcast to is GarageBand.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I'm not sure if GarageBand still has that setting... This was explained on a forum thread from 2011:

"You can have GarageBand automatically export projects at the optimum loudness; that
is, at the highest volume level possible without adding distortion. Setting a project to
the optimum volume level is called "auto-normalizing."
To export projects at the optimum volume level:
1 Choose GarageBand > Preferences, and then click Advanced.
2 Select the Auto Normalize checkbox.
The Auto Normalize feature does not affect the volume level when you play the project
in GarageBand. It affects the volume level only when you export the project.

So you'd have compressor and normalize in GarageBand - no need for external tools.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
You might just test it with an old podcast and upload it here to see if it works better for the people.