POLIKARPOV I-16 RATA

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm glad you said it first ... seeing the prop spit off was pretty funny. Does it roll left when you glide test it or only when flying under power? If it glides good then the prop torque is causing the roll to left.

Guess who was supposed to have left the field already and was too impatient to do a glide test? :eek:

I'll definitely try that before powered flight next - thanks!

Parramon

Hello Rockyboy:
Do not be discouraged !! You learn more from mistakes than from successes.
I hope you can repair that nice plane and we will see it fly soon.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I'll definitely try that before powered flight next - thanks!
The Pietenpol I restored did the same thing on the first powered hand launch, rolled left into the ground. I thought I made a very bad toss and caused the crash but glide tests proved it was trimmed and balanced just fine. I added more right thrust and a lower pitch prop and the next powered flight went well.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks guys - appreciate the encouragement.

Not feeling down about this one at all - just going to take a little more work to get her flying is all :)

PoorManRC

Master member
Glad you're taking it well.... but I'm sure something inside you sank a little.
No worries!! 😊 No permanent damage, and you know why it happened. That's most of the Battle.

Best of Luck on your second Maiden!! 😉

D-Rock

Hi Rockyboy, great job on the little Rata! This was one of my first designs through Manzano Laser many years ago. Looks like she went together well for you, any progress since the initial maiden attempts?

D-Rock
Derek

hello183

That is cool. I was wondering, when they designed the real airplane, was there anything special they wanted to achieve by making the fuselage so wide, like better engine cooling or something? Was it really practical in flight?

Parramon

That is cool. I was wondering, when they designed the real airplane, was there anything special they wanted to achieve by making the fuselage so wide, like better engine cooling or something? Was it really practical in flight?

Hi,
I think the size of I-16 is because a the radial engine. The in line engines are more flat.
The I-16 was one of the first war birds completely metallic.
In the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) the I-16 had some problems, the nose was very heavy and roll over during the landing frecuently.
I hope helpfull.

Javiester

Elite member
precisely today I flew my I-16

IMG-20230205-WA0014.jpg