POLIKARPOV I-16 RATA

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
@rockyboy - I really like this build - the 'chubba' fuse is very cool!
Thanks! Love these cartoonish shaped planes - they just look so silly floating around!

I think you did a great job of explaining that!! It's not the most common Engineering practice on Aircraft....
But surprisingly common on Air Force Fighter Jets. (Possibly Navy too, I'm just not aware of it)
It's far less pronounced in these applications, and mostly on Supersonic Jets - to improve Dogfighting performance and help with Tip Stalling during Refueling and Landing - a Fighter Jet's most vulnerable events.

The Trisonic Jets too!! Most People trying to make Model SR-71 Blackbirds fly aren't even aware of this. It's VERY subtle, nearly imperceptible, but at some angles, with GOOD eyes, you CAN actually see it.
The 2nd XB-70 Prototype also had a little Washout designed into its enormous Delta Wings!

Most of the early "Century Fighter" Jets had no Washout. It really wasn't widely known - and there was NO Internet!!! 😜😂
The F-100 Super Sabre had very Straight, Flat, Swept Wings....
The first Production Supersonic Fighter, sadly killed more than a couple of Pilots on Landings - especially Aborted Landings.....

BACK on Subject! I love the I-16!! One of my favorite Inter-War Aircraft. She was definitely advanced for its time - or even 20 years after it was built!!
It may have LOOKED like a Gee-Bee in some ways... but was WAY MORE forgiving to her Pilots! For all accounts, it was a pretty good Handling, Honest Airplane. She never got to prove herself on an EVEN playing field.

As you stated in the beginning, she was woefully outclassed by the beginning of Hostilities in 1939....

For YOU, this one seems to be taking an eternity to do!!!😜😂😁 This is my first look, but I've been through the whole Thread - so far.

Me..... Just been hanging in there, waiting for next Summer, so I can afford more Recievers for my FS6i, Motors, Servos - and eventually some KITS!! 😁
I've got a couple in mind initially in Simple Series (Sportster and Spitfire) - AND the A-10 and P-47 MS Kits!!
(Among several others. Next year I'll be VERY set!!!)
In case anyone was wondering.... 😉

Hey there again Carmine! :)

It's been a rough couple months (for everyone) but I'm pulling myself back together and getting back to things that "bring me joy" like building stuff.

Didn't know about the washout proliferation on jet fighters, but it makes perfect sense - especially in the fly-by-wire jet days before so much computer stability control was introduced. I bet that split second pilot feedback in terms of the mushy feeling saved more than a few lives.

And if the I-16 only had a little higher service ceiling or a more powerful engine/climb rate against the second wave of ME109s it faced, a lot of things could have gone differently. They were able to keep air superiority over the first ME109s they faced, but Germany changed their engineering faster than the Soviets in this case.

Back on the spinner build, I was able to pull the two sections apart (clear gorilla glue is great for wood to foam joints, and it doesn't expand like the brown stuff). The bolt head sticking out of the bottom plate on the left is where the prop nut will be, and the toothpick locating pins are almost straight up and down - but with just enough miss-alignment that they provide great holding pressure when the two halves are put together. No need for magnets or screws to keep this spinner together!
IMG_20200916_231624_copy_1024x768.jpg

I chucked it up in the drill press after some rough knife shaping, and with a little sandpaper and file work had a reasonable shape in about 10 minutes.
IMG_20200916_232315_copy_1024x768.jpg

The Rata was produced with two different spinner shapes - one with a sharper cone shape and a central tube sticking out the front, and one with more of a mushroom or button rounded profile that I'm targeting here.

IMG_20200916_232848_copy_1024x768.jpg

Waiting for a 2.3mm collet type prop adapter that fits on the motor shaft to arrive - not going to be using this o-ring style mount with the spinner setup.
IMG_20200916_233025_copy_1024x768.jpg

Next I'm going to spackle and sand the spinner a few times to build up a little bit of a harder surface, and then lay on a few coats of WBPU. Once the prop adapter is here, I'll do the final fitting of the prop slots cut into the foam on the back side.

Javiester

Elite member
I have found a store in Russia that sells Master Series style plans for a little more than one euro, they also have a Youtube channel with the construction of the model
I have painted him with the republican colors of the Spanish civil war that he fought against the fascists
this is the real model of the Madrid air museum

0001-FIO_DAGA_2175.jpg

And so I have almost finished in the absence of a detail that you can appreciate
the canopy
almost 700gr without battery, 950mm wingspan

IMG_20200911_222123.jpg

IMG_20200911_222225.jpg

IMG_20200911_222243.jpg

Last edited:

Parramon

I have found a store in Russia that sells Master Series style plans for a little more than one euro, they also have a Youtube channel with the construction of the model
I have painted him with the republican colors of the Spanish civil war that he fought against the fascists

View attachment 179280

And so I have almost finished in the absence of a detail that you can appreciate
the canopy
almost 700gr without battery

View attachment 179281
View attachment 179282
View attachment 179283
Felicidades te ha quedado niquelao!!. Que callado lo tenias. A ver si lo vemos volar.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

View attachment 179280

the canopy
almost 700gr without battery, 950mm wingspan

View attachment 179281
View attachment 179282
View attachment 179283

Bravo good sir! And working retracts too - awesome!

She looks beautiful! Thank you for sharing here! :)

My progress today doesn't look nearly as nice - just put a coat of plaster spackle on the spinner. Not nearly as exciting. :)

IMG_20200917_154907_copy_1024x768.jpg

Javiester

Elite member
Realmente has aprovechado bien el tiempo. El Mig tambien está espectacular.
It was the first plane that I prepared with the needle cutter
I have not painted the Mig 15 and I have removed the landing gear because it weighs 1kg with the battery and I'm worried I'm doing another with xps to see if I lighten it at least 200gr

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
With a little sanding, some water based polyurethane coats over the spackle, and a quick coat of paint she's looking good enough for me!
IMG_20200918_183209_copy_1024x768.jpg

Let's see how this looks on the plane...
IMG_20200918_183904_copy_1024x768.jpg

I like the profile, it's maybe a little longer than I'd like but I can trim a little off the back once the prop comes in and I can fit it into place.
IMG_20200918_183920_copy_1024x768.jpg

And while I'm working on the front end, I wanted to provide some cushioning from the battery since we're belly landing this one. Scrap foam from a bushless motor package works well for this! Pinned in place temporarily, but it'll get hot glued in place.
IMG_20200918_185632_copy_1024x768.jpg

Time to finish up the wing - control horns installed in the ailerons, and throws tested and move just fine.
IMG_20200918_113215_copy_1024x768.jpg

Now that everything (except the prop and collet) are installed, let's check the balance....
IMG_20200918_184356_copy_1024x1365.jpg

Wow - pretty darn close! I don't think I'm going to need much dead weight at all to get this right!

TooJung2Die

Master member
I have done it according to the video of the YouTube channel of the Russian store where I bought the plans use the cap and thread of a plastic bottle
That's another clever solution. I don't understand a word of Russian and I was able to understand exactly how he made the spinner. 👍