Porco Rosso Savoia S.2

dmlong

Hello Flite Test family. First I want to say that everyone in the Flite Test family are awesome. The website is the best ever. I've been an RC float plane fanatic for years, but I never flew one since getting into RC years ago. I will definitely be building one of your float plane kits in the future.

While station in Japan, I’d came across a cartoon video called Porco Rosso. It’s was about a bounty hunter pilot that had been turned into a pig by a strange curse. He flew a float plane called the Savoia S.2. I think you all could make the perfect prototype of this.

Take care. ;)

Derrick L

dmlong

Oops. I forgot to post the following pictures of the plane and video cover.

Derrick porco_rosso_by_ticcy-d7md4qb.jpg PR.jpeg

TestMaster

It seems to share many common physical characteristics with the FT sea Otter, if you are interested in building it yourself, you could download the plans and edit the wings and tail. The CG would be hard to place since the wings are at the front of the plane and the motor is on the wing but that doesn't mean that it is impossible to make it fly.

dmlong

The CG would be hard to place since the wings are at the front of the plane and the motor is on the wing but that doesn't mean that it is impossible to make it fly.

Locating the CG may take some trail and error tactics. How far from the leading edge should I make my first attempt to place the CG?

TestMaster

Depends how scale you want it to look, I would place the wing back just a little and elevate the entire tail as, on the image, the prop wash cannot reach the elevator. It also depends how big you want the plane to be, anyways, I would extend the motor lead so you can put the ESC, TX and battery in the front of the aircraft. That would allow for a more balanced plane. Otherwise, the wingspan seems pretty good and the actual airframe could easily be reproduced by a couple sheets of foam and a little hot glue. If this is your first scratch build, I would suggest using plans from an FT Sea Otter and modifying it.

Last edited:

Tench745

Master member
It's the Savoia S.21, and entirely fictional plane and one of my favorites. Fine Models sells plastic scale models of it in 1/48 and, I think, 1/72 scale. No one that I'm aware of has made plans available for an RC model of it, but there are flying versions out there. If I remember correctly, the sweep of the wings is usually reduced, and the wing shifted forward to make for a better flying model. You could build it off the otter, but I think starting from scratch would be just as easy.