Possible FT kits shipped from Europe?

dod22

Hey guys this might be a mad idea cause ye'll be crazy busy while yer over here but have ye thought about maybe bringing over some speed build kits or maybe more likely the smaller FT kits like the batbone or anycopter and shipping them from France to the FT Euro fans who can't make it down to see you in person. I think there's a lot of FT fans in europe who want FT kits but have held off cause of the shipping cost from the US.

Just an idea :D

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
They said, they are working on a global distribution already...

goeland86

Asked by email to the shop - they said it's a no go because they're actually touring for Immersion RC, so they'll be loaded with lots of stuff and can't afford to bring kits with them.

However, what we could (and should before they manage to lower shipping costs) is do group orders to get kits over here, and then meet up to pick them up later.

RoyBro

Mentor
Maybe David could start a production line, get his own laser cutter, or something? :)

That would be the more reasonable option. Of course it might be an after hours venture if he has to get a "real job". And laser cutters aren't cheap. But I'm sure David can cobble one together with spit and wire in no time.

Are customs between countries in the EU as ridiculous as they are for the U.S. and Canada?

goeland86

That would be the more reasonable option. Of course it might be an after hours venture if he has to get a "real job". And laser cutters aren't cheap. But I'm sure David can cobble one together with spit and wire in no time.

The problem I see is that David is more of a designer, not a production or logistics guy... He'd need a whole lot of help doing it to be able to get to the same quality level as the US guys.

RoyBro

Mentor
The problem I see is that David is more of a designer, not a production or logistics guy... He'd need a whole lot of help doing it to be able to get to the same quality level as the US guys.

Too true. So substitute (anyone with a laser cutter) for "David" and you've got it made. And since there are no customs between countries in the EU, you don't have to have one in every country.

I wonder what kind of deal Flite Test has going with that Canadian hobby store. Surely they would want some sort of royalty per plane...

goeland86

I wonder what kind of deal Flite Test has going with that Canadian hobby store. Surely they would want some sort of royalty per plane...

Or they might settle for a percentage of the profit made on the kits sold. That might benefit them more actually.

Michaelpowell

Don't believe it, David can fabricate with the best. Just look at his deliberately over engineered ground station - he even engraved the labels for the switches, very few were able to replicate that device.

But it won't be simple foam-board or Depron kits, thats a phase that we'll soon be out of once the economy improves and people have some more cash to spend.

Expect something much more hi-tech from David, thats the European way, after all.

Sorry to drag up an older thread. But i have been looking at getting the speed build kits.

But. say for example, the FT-Bloody Wonder. not particular big and bulky. Plus some linkage stoppers, and some control horns. Your looking at $38 before shipping. Not a bad price i might add.

Then you add shipping to the uk, and all of a sudden its. $67.81.......

If we could get this ALOT cheapier to the uk, i would most definalty buy an build speed build kits, I have thought about making a custom CNC laser cutter, but i dont have both the funds nor space for such a machine.

Being a county member (basically a member of the BMFA but not affiliated to a club) means i cannot group together with other people to do a mass order, so for now i am forced down the route of putting knife to foam.

Not that i dont like it. Its just the foam available here in the UK is heavier by 10-15%. So it naturally makes for a heavier plane.

Plus i would really like to be able to help support you guys, and get a great plane to boot :)

Tony.

mjcp

Sorry to drag up an older thread. But i have been looking at getting the speed build kits.

But. say for example, the FT-Bloody Wonder. not particular big and bulky. Plus some linkage stoppers, and some control horns. Your looking at $38 before shipping. Not a bad price i might add.

Then you add shipping to the uk, and all of a sudden its. $67.81.......

If we could get this ALOT cheapier to the uk, i would most definalty buy an build speed build kits, I have thought about making a custom CNC laser cutter, but i dont have both the funds nor space for such a machine.

Being a county member (basically a member of the BMFA but not affiliated to a club) means i cannot group together with other people to do a mass order, so for now i am forced down the route of putting knife to foam.

Not that i dont like it. Its just the foam available here in the UK is heavier by 10-15%. So it naturally makes for a heavier plane.

Plus i would really like to be able to help support you guys, and get a great plane to boot :)

Tony.

Doh!

Just put an order in the day before.... I'm in Berkshire so could have met up to hand off...

mjcp

iluminaughty

Hi everyone.
Actually Im starting a RC flight academy in Malmoe, Sweden and we are using a makerspace equipped with 2 big lasercutters and 3 3dprinters. And I was just about to mail FT about distribution, but wanted to check the forums first ;)

firstcut.JPG

Here is the link to our RCG thread.

FB <swedish

viggen

im in the uk...the foam i use isnt any heavier.just find a local friendly cnc place.and show them the ft plans and foamboard...

i thought about doing this and see if ft would let me be there uk dealer..
the ft planes like the spitfire and slinger are epic and i love flying them

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
One thing the FliteTest crew is worried about with others producing and selling their designs under the Flite Test brand is reputation. If you use different materials, perhaps slightly heavier foamboard or different push rods that bend, it will all fall back on Flite Test.

I don't know if they had bad experiences with this or are just cautious, but that's one of the reasons.

There's a lot more to it than just cutting foamboard. You need distribution, be able to support warranty requests, etc.

Balu, I fully understand these concerns. If you buy something, you want it to work out of the box. If it doesn't, you're going to blame flite test. But wouldn't it be possible to choose some of the best selling kits, pack a huge bundle into a container and sell them from Europe? A bit like HobbyKing or Banggood, who also have a Europe warehouse and selling their stuff with a slightly raised price from there?
But maybe that's still too risky. After all, FT is huge for me, but in real world it isn't that huge to get a dependency running :)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
They are working on exactly that, but it's difficult with shipping, customs, etc... The original plan was to have a European distribution in Q1 of this year, but Austin mentioned that it was too optimistic and they had to push it back. Push it back, but not stop the plan. :)

SmilingDevil

..I'd still think setting up Shop should be more versatile, Having a container arriving in Hamburg/Rotterdam/XYZ one or two month after the parts were ordered and produced means you need a LOT of storage capacity if you don't want to run out of things every time there is a peak like Summer holiday, or the latest episode of FliteTest with some awesome looking design...

Having a Lasercutter (two, three) running in a Basement should be the ultimate goal... it would spark things like "pick up your Order, meet other pilots.." - weekend gatherings kinda experience.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
You'd still need to have the foamboard and all the electronics and other parts delivered.... You also need a vacuum packing machine and the whole infrastructure to manage and fullfill orders.

If it were just "get a lasercutter and start cutting", I'd already been doing it for a year. =)