Possible FT Trainer idea

TadWaddell

have you seen my Champ?
Just looking for some opinions, so feel free to chime in.

I have very little experience with rc flight, had a Champ and a small 3ch indoor heli for a few months, and I have been looking for a slightly larger simple 3 channel plane that is a bit more durable than the Champ.

I have a FT Flyer airframe built, waiting for budget clearance from the wife to buy my power system. I have no doubt that it will fly and fly very well but it is a little lacking in the looks department.

Tonight I printed out the FT Duster plans and started glueing them to poster board and cutting out the patterns. Deep in thought and looking at the Duster image on the plans I thought "what about a three channel high wing swappable". The Duster has great look to it, for me at least, and I think a high wing version would be great. The wing has some dihedral in it already and could be built without ailerons easily. The fuselage sides would need some reshaping to support a wing, maybe adding a cabin shape in place of the single cockpit of the Duster.

Any thoughts or ideas guys? I would really like to hear what you guys think.

Thanks

Tad

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
With your experience, it's not a bad idea to build the FT Duster as is. Personally I prefer 4 channel planes, but I find myself mostly flying it as a "bank and yank" and I only use the rudder once in a while. I haven't mastered perfect turns yet. It might be worth expanding into the 4 channel realm.

But if you really want a 3 channel trainer, I had good luck with this plane that I designed. It's based off of the FT Flyer but is a high wing trainer. Yet not really. http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?6426-1-swappable-trainer&highlight=dollar Not all of the build photos are working. I dunno why. But hopefully the design is self explanatory.

ofiesens2

Professional noob
I would go with RCSF's plane any day. I used a Baby Blender wing with polyhedral and an altered CG and it flew over 60 feet on a glide test.

rockets4kids

A 3-ch plane is going to need dihedral in the wing for stability.

The high-wing, 3-ch trainer from Flite Test is the Old Fogey.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I really need to get a proper video of the high wing plane I designed based off of the FT Flyer and make a proper article. Not many 3 channel planes can handle the wind as well as that plane can.

If your looking for a good trainer build the Smash Drone. It flies beautifully for a 3 channel plane, and currently I'm workin on designing a new ing for it so that with the simple swap of a wing you can go from 3ch to 4ch flight.

It is a great plane, though it kind of lacks in the looks. There is an article with plans and a build video, and another person posted an article about converting it to a "V" tail and there's one with a sick paint job.

One modification I would do to it is glue a single piece of DTF to the bottom of the the back center of the wing to decrease the angle of attack, and another would be to make wing guides on the side so all you have to do is put it in place, no need to try and center it as this will make it center automatically.

T-Richard

the simple soarer with the 4inch extended pod in the front is pretty awesome for a 3ch, it's very docile and will fly with a 24g motor

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I thought "what about a three channel high wing swappable". The Duster has great look to it, for me at least, and I think a high wing version would be great.

As some other people already mentioned, you're describing the old fogey here...
I think that'd be a nice plane to build for you!

Last edited:

crash bandicoot

I would just keep making FT Flyers. You will start to love it. An FT Flyer is siimple, and cheap, and can do loops, rolls, outside loops, hammerhead, split-s and a ton of other stuff. Old Fogeys are great, but they are slow and behave badly if you push it. I know it's hard, but just fly the FT for a while, then you will be ready for the FT Duster, or anything else FT makes staright up.