Possible newbie question

Brianna81

Ok, so I finally got my battery charged up, had to kill one of my new servos (didn't have any old ones) to solder up a bind plug, and finally got everything setup. I got my FS-i6 transmitter bound to my FS-IA6 receiver, but I ran into a problem. I don't have anything installed, just sitting on a table, just so you know my setup. So I know I have everything hooked up right, as there's really only one way everything can go. My servos work fine, but, my motor just beeps, and for some reason the throttle stick controls the servo I have plugged into channel 3. So I thought ok, let's try it with no servos. So, just power from ESC to receiver, still the motor beeps and kinda turns a tiny bit all glitchy like, and no throttle control. So I powered everything off. Disconnected motor (and left unplugged), so it was just the ESC going to receiver. Re-bind, power off, disconnect bind plug. Turn on controller first, throttle up, plug in power to ESC to reset, get the beep, throttle down, unplug power, turn off transmitter. Plug motor back in, plug in power, turn on transmitter, no change. Still beeping motor, no throttle control. Attach servos, they all work fine. I'm thinking it's this cheapo $13 motor/ESC combo kit and something is bad. But, it just feels like I'm overlooking something that is probably something everybody knows except me. Any ideas?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Have you calibrated the ESC? With the prop off, and Tx/Rx bound, power up the Tx and set it to full throttle. Plug in the battery and wait for the beeping to stop. Then set the throttle to minimum. When the beeping stops again you're calibrated :)

Brianna81

Have you calibrated the ESC? With the prop off, and Tx/Rx bound, power up the Tx and set it to full throttle. Plug in the battery and wait for the beeping to stop. Then set the throttle to minimum. When the beeping stops again you're calibrated :)
Doesn't seem to calibrate. It only beeps just a couple of quick beeps when I power it on with the motor disconnected and the transmitter already on. There are no other beeps after that :/. Maybe this cheapo ESC can't be calibrated?

Brianna81

Isn't the ESC supposed to be plugged into channel 3 on this receiver?
Tried that, still no change. Reset calibration on ESC (if this ESC can be reset) and still nothing. Tried rebinding with the receiver on channel 3, still nothing. I think I'm going to get a better quality ESC and motor just in case. Grrr......

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Tried that, still no change. Reset calibration on ESC (if this ESC can be reset) and still nothing. Tried rebinding with the receiver on channel 3, still nothing. I think I'm going to get a better quality ESC and motor just in case. Grrr......
I had a couple of cheap ESCs that gave me similar issues. In desperation I reversed the throttle channel and then tried calibrating. After that I returned the throttle channel to normal and it calibrated immediately ans properly.

I do not buy the cheap ESCs any longer!

Have fun!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Are your bullet connectors loose?.... I've had loose connections cause some pretty erratic motor behavior before...
If SO, STOP applying power till you get good connections, it'll fry the ESC, motor (or both!)...
ask how I know... :rolleyes:

+1 to throttle being on channel #3 for Flysky equipment.

Brianna81

Now that I'm listening more closely, the beeping I was hearing on powering on with the motor disconnected and the throttle set at 100% was coming from the transmitter. So yeah, no beeping from the ESC at all :/

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The ESC has no ability to beep. With the motor connected the beeps will be generated in the motor because of the waveform sent from the ESC to the motor.

Have fun!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
@DamoRC is correct, on Flysky, the throttle is channel 3, AETR.
Just to recap, a servo will respond to throttle input on channel 3 but the ESC will not respond?
If so, I agree with @Hai-Lee, either the throttle needs to be reversed and the ESC recalibrated OR you have a defective ESC