Possibly confusing

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'm tossing this one out to the Admins: I am an "Active Member" on the forum. That simply means that I've posted a lot. It has nothing to do with my actual RC flying experience. I don't have any. My experience is so limited that any advice I offer should be taken with a healthy grain of salt. I try to explain that when I offer what advice I have, but maybe I miss, or maybe other's don't even make a point of it.

Other Active Members are actually experienced in both building and flying, on many different levels. All of them are more experienced than myself. Because we are here, we like to offer and ask for advice, information and opinion.

Perhaps an alternative to the automatic x amount of posts that means one is an "Active Member" maybe we are allowed options to choose. I'm just playing with an idea, but something like "I have flown lots of times" "I've flown, but I'm still learning" "I'm still just trying to get in the air" "Old hand. Been there done that"

You get the idea. The more experienced pilots could be recognized as such, thus their more proven advice would have more weight than someone like myself. That could be very beneficial to this community as a whole, I think.

d8veh

Elite member
How it is is pretty standard for forums because the forums have no way of verifying your actual relevence other than your number of posts. Members can still use their signature to add or take of weight to their post. You also have an "about me" section in your profile, when you can write what your actual experience is, or anything else.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@buzzbomb One thing I have learned here is that even the least experienced can make vital contribution to the aiding of others often without knowing. I count my self as such a recipient just recently.

Those among us with huge experience and the like will not be around forever and we rely on others to take our place. Just keep on learning, building and flying and you could easily be mentoring others as a mentor in the future. You have already demonstrated that you are capable of such a responsibility!

The little green Mentor label is granted at the request of those you help so learn and help!.

Being a mentor is not a rank or anything like that it just recognizes your willingness and ability to help others! It definitely does not mean that a mentor knows everything I can assure you of that!

Keep up your building and posting so we all can learn from you and be willing to help others where you can!

have fun!

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I used to post a lot and have convinced many that I knew what I was talking about when the reality was that I was just re-stating what I've heard. Not saying what I knew from experience.

Sometimes the information you say is the same whether you know from experience or know from reading / hearing / seeing.

Input is input and it's up to the information seeking to determine which information is best for them.

But I know nothing.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
But I know nothing.
That is me. I honestly know nothing that I haven't read or watched. I've got a tiny bit of build experience and I've done a whole lot of research on many, many things. I think it would be helpful to this community if that information was obvious, below my avatar, and below everyone's avatar.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
That is me. I honestly know nothing that I haven't read or watched. I've got a tiny bit of build experience and I've done a whole lot of research on many, many things. I think it would be helpful to this community if that information was obvious, below my avatar, and below everyone's avatar.
So what’s holding you back from getting out there & flying something?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

You can change that "Active Member" wording to anything you like. Just click on your name in the upper right side of the website header so it brings up a menu of stuff about your account, and then click "Account Details". On that page you can write whatever you like in the "Custom Title" field and it will override the New / Active member title.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
@buzzbomb

Being a mentor is not a rank or anything like that it just recognizes your willingness and ability to help others! It definitely does not mean that a mentor knows everything I can assure you of that!

LOL how true on that. I put a title on myself of "Knower of Useless Information" because a lot of what I know is random. Sometimes it's helpful, though. :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Electronics. I'm going super cheap and it will hopefully be a Christmas present to myself. I've nothing at the moment but foamboard and hot glue. Hence no flight.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
You can change that "Active Member" wording to anything you like. Just click on your name in the upper right side of the website header so it brings up a menu of stuff about your account, and then click "Account Details". On that page you can write whatever you like in the "Custom Title" field and it will override the New / Active member title.
I do not have a "Custom Title" field. Perhaps that is also linked the activity of the poster.

d8veh

Elite member
I don't have that field either.