Post what plane/motor/prop/esc/battery, you used and it worked!

amtpdb1

I have read many posts that people keep asking if this motor, prop, esc combination will work. How about people coming here and post what Plane-Motor-Prop-Battery-ESC. combination you have used and it worked well. People also ask how long you can fly with the combination. How about telling us how long you can fly with that combination at what throttle setting and what kind of speed you are getting. I know have held back on some plane completions as I don't want to waste money on buying items that will not work the first time! Remember that the hole purpose of building these and having the the power pods removable was to help everyone not waste a lot of money.
How about posting here your good set ups.

Spitfire RCTimer 2208-1450, 30amp esc, 3s battery 2200mah, 8x4 prop -Pulls it at a nice cruse, top speed about 45mph, 5-10 minutes

How about adding yours?

Thanks

Don

Last edited:

Winglet

Good idea. I use this on my NUTBALL, FT FLYER and FT DELTA. It seems to be about perfect in my opinion anyway.

SUPPO BL-2208/17 motor from Altitude Hobbies. Really like this motor a lot!

9x4.7 slow fly propeller

Any old 10 to 18 amp esc. Altitude Hobbies has good ones and they usually have connectors already soldered.

Zippy 850mah battery. 35C Compact 3 cell. I order these from Hobby King US. Almost like this battery was made for this series of swapables. Very small and lite.

Speed and flight time varies a lot depending on if I'm pushing my Delta around hard or putt putting with the FT Flyer. In all cases though, this setup seems to be nearly perfect to me.

Attachments

• zippy.png
    zippy.png
    121.3 KB · Views: 427
  • swapables small.png
    swapables small.png
    464.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
The famous "Blue-Wonder", 9X4.7 Prop, 30A Plush Esc, 1300/2200 mAh Lipo: ~20mins on Versa Wing 1/2 Throttle, ~30mins on Simple Soarer Throttle off/on

NTM 2826, 8X4 or 9X4.7 Prop, 30A Plush Esc, 2200mAh Lipo: ~8minson FT 3D

I've gone through a few motors: I have some 20A and 30A esc's, I've been only ordering the 30a lately as they only weigh a couple grams more than the 20A and the price is hardly different it makes an easier upgrade on pods/planes if i switch motors I don't have to switch esc's too. I use an HK101 only to check amps to make sure props don't over draw the motors or esc's (highly recommended!) most of these motors clock in in the mid teen's to low twenties for the motor/prop combo.

turnigy D2822 1450KV with a 8x4 SF prop or 7x5e apc prop - that combo in my opinion is a step between the beef motors and the blue wonder. i've used the 9x4.7 sf props on the old fogey and speedster since they are happy at 1/2 throttle this motor wont burn up swing that 9" prop

turnigy d2826 1400kv motor 8x4 prop all the way, used it on the spitfire, bloody wonder, Mustang, FT22, and Versa wing. it's not quite the Beef motor but think it's a close second. it's $10 at HK and 8x4 are super cheap nearly always in stock and easy to find. (my favorite pick for the FT planes for performance and efficiency

NTM 2826 1200kv motor - 8x6 prop. tried 8x4 and 9x6 but found mine liked the 8x6 the best. couldn't go vertical with the spit fire but had plenty of power to have a great time, also super efficient, I usually only fly about 10 minutes but I could usually get that with a 1500mah battery though I most often used the 2200mah because the extra blast allows it to fly better in stronger winds.

hextronic 24g 1300kv motor - despite FT's recommendations of 9x4.7 props on many of their builds with this motor, I have bee most happily flying it with a 7x5 APCe prop I actually have an 80% ft flyer with this setup flying on a 2s 850mah battery it scoots around pretty quick and is a ton of fun to fly.

Exceed RC Rocket 2220 (2836 equivalent?) 1380kv motor - this was supposed to be my Beef motor but I think it is over spec'd. It does however pull my mustang around pretty well with a 8x6e prop, it's faster than the ntm motor but i think should be faster.

Turnigy D2836 1100Kv - using 11x4 on blunt nose versa wing - this has been a night mare, I read a thrust test that put this and a 10x6 prop as the preferred props for the motor however on my BNV it generates too much power and rips the motor mount off the plane mid flight (has happened 3+times) last attempt to fly my BNV it tore up the FT elements mount before I could let go on a hand launch. when it comes loose the power of the prop hitting the plane actually snaps the colet adapter (2xtimes, more in the mail soon!) I using a new motor mount from home depot :http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-A21Z-Z-MAX-Galvanized-18-Gauge-Angle-A21Z/100375047 I just lined up the motor mount marked the holes and drilled out. I'm still working on a solid mount to the plane but I know this mount wont come apart on me :)

Turnigy 2830 1000kv motor 9x6e APC prop- I put this on a FT Bloody wonder that is too heavy built with adams foam board from walmart, the plane is tough as nails but the DTFB ones fly so much better, but with this combo it will go verticle! it was drawing 14 amps at WOT on a 9x4.7 but the 9x6 runs so much better though I haven't checked amp draw yet i don't expect it will be more than 20a

so if you took the time to read all that, i have not personally thrust tested any of these only checked amp draw with the HK 101. all thrusts tests i looked up on line. I can say that on several of the motors I tried different props and noticed a decrease in actual flight performance and switched back to what is listed above.

Final thought - with the exception of the 2836 1100kv motor. it is MY OPINION that the other motors make great starter motors (24g hextronic & D2822 1450kv) and transition motors (D2826 1400kv - ntm 2826 1200kv) with the FT planes. the 2826's are a small step down from the BEEF motor that FT recommends but if you are not proficient with handling your air frame you probably aren't ready for a BEEF size motor. start with one of the ones I have listed or something similar, 2826 is a great size and is flexible on most all of the FT planes. the higer KV the smaler prop and remember that not all the FT planes need to go fast to fly well. Some air frames need a certain size prop to clear the grass, teh FT cruiser needs a 9" or smaller or it hits the fuse, keep that stuff in mind you might need a smaller or larger prop for some purpose, but a good motor that will spin the right prop with out being over prop'd

-Jes

LocalHero

I'm definitely subscribing to this thread. I just put together a power pod with the hextronic 24g 1300kv with a 9x3.8 prop, an 18A ESC.

I intend to use it on my Simple Soarer at the park, flying low and slow to get the hang of RC flight. I haven't had a chance to "maiden" this specific setup yet, though. I've only thrown the plane around a few times with just the glider setup.

OrangutangSurfer, what part of DFW are you in? I'm in old Irving, and I wouldn't mind meeting up with some local FliteTest fans one of these days. I'm new to the hobby and I would love to find some local flying buddies.

Kenbow

I'm definitely subscribing to this thread. I just put together a power pod with the hextronic 24g 1300kv with a 9x3.8 prop, an 18A ESC.

I intend to use it on my Simple Soarer at the park, flying low and slow to get the hang of RC flight. I haven't had a chance to "maiden" this specific setup yet, though. I've only thrown the plane around a few times with just the glider setup.

OrangutangSurfer, what part of DFW are you in? I'm in old Irving, and I wouldn't mind meeting up with some local FliteTest fans one of these days. I'm new to the hobby and I would love to find some local flying buddies.

IMO what you are trying to do is a recipe for disaster. The soarer is meant to fly high and glide down, turning in small area's is not what this plane is good at. So take her high and let her do what she does best!

LocalHero

IMO what you are trying to do is a recipe for disaster. The soarer is meant to fly high and glide down, turning in small area's is not what this plane is good at. So take her high and let her do what she does best!

I'll definitely take that into consideration. The few times I've thrown it, I had pretty good success looping it around the big park I fly at. I do want to take it up high, but I wasn't sure if my setup had enough power to climb high enough.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
As Kenbow points out, Powered gliders are meant to use their motor for "launch", then sloooooowly float back down, catching any rising air as they fall. In this respect, the SS will fly better gliding than it will in a powered launch.

Assuming you've got a full-range RX/TX, the only thing you should worry about with altitude is wind -- as you increase altitude, any wind you feel at the ground is stronger. If it gets to be too much, point the nose down to get to gentler winds below, then turn a few circles to burn off the airspeed

That little motor will do fine dragging a SS upward -- it probably won't climb vertically, but it should climb well. kick off the motor at the top, and enjoy the ride down :)

Last edited:

LocalHero

Thanks, Craftydan. I'm working 12-hour days at the moment, so I'll be more than ready to do some soaring this weekend. Hopefully the winds will be calm enough. I can't wait to get up in the air!

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I would love to hear more about other prop/motor/esc combos.