• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

post your setup and flight times

I was just outside running the timer on my remote to get the flight times of the batteries that I have.. I had the idea if we post setups and flight time that may make it easier for others to better pick components to suit their needs.

My setup
Frame:Wooden bat bone tri copter
Motors: turnigy D2822/14 1450kv
ESC: HK blue series 20amp programmable
Props: slow fly 8.45
Flight controller: HK multi rotor control board V3.0
Accessories: 45 L.E.D'S. ( 15on each boom for orientation and night flying)

Batteries tested:
Turnigy nano tech 2200mah 3s 25-50c discharge rate... flight time 9:30 before esc cut off.. 8 minutes is a safe flight time to return and land..

Eflite 1500mah 3s 30amp max discharge rate flight time 6:20... safe flight 5 minutes, gives you time to return and land.

I hope to have a 3000mah nano tech soon.. so I'll up date when I get that battery.. I (ESTIMATE) 10-11 minutes of safe flight time

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
This is all very subjective.

I think the standard should be to start with a fresh ~4.2v per cell battery and gently (over about a 3-4 second period) raise the MR out of ground effect. . .and for 99.9% of multi-rotors that can be 3 meters. . . .and hover till a voltage per cell. . .say 3.4V, is reached on the last cell.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
This is all very subjective.

I think the standard should be to start with a fresh ~4.2v per cell battery and gently (over about a 3-4 second period) raise the MR out of ground effect. . .and for 99.9% of multi-rotors that can be 3 meters. . . .and hover till a voltage per cell. . .say 3.4V, is reached on the last cell.
This is a great way to be sure everyone is comparing apples to apples...good call, Cyber!

vk2dxn

Not every one runs telemetry so it will be hard to judge exact voltage cut off. However I do see a valid point to having a voltage range for comparing set ups. I can not retest my setup because I pulled the pin on the yaw mech in favor of making a Vtail. When I finish it I will post the findings if anyone is interested (4.2-3.4v) flight time

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Not every one runs telemetry so it will be hard to judge exact voltage cut off. However I do see a valid point to having a voltage range for comparing set ups. I can not retest my setup because I pulled the pin on the yaw mech in favor of making a Vtail. When I finish it I will post the findings if anyone is interested (4.2-3.4v) flight time
If you're relying on a ground based airtime timer and don't have an alarm for low voltage, whether it be a $3 device or a beeper off the FC, you're asking major problems. Unless of course, your timer's time is set exceedingly low.

This one works wonderfully. You can set the lowV in increments of a tenth of a volt. It goes off for about 5 seconds when the first cell hits the lowV setting then shuts off, then goes off continuously when all the cells hit the lowV setting. It also shows a rolling display of each cell and a total. All for $2!
Can't beat the price, and free shipping. All MR's should have one if , if even set very low for a back up notification if you already have another method.

all make valid points. I have the beep style voltage alarm. When it beeps bring it down or it's coming down as I hadn't set nimah on the esc..

I agree it's subjective.. my times were at hover and flying and turning about 30 feet either direction.. no hard throttle.. the problem I see is not many people just go into a hover in real world scenario.. but light throttle control flight times that I posted seem a decent median...

Of course none of these times are hard set.. just a reference, that's from a fully charged, balanced, 4.2v per cell until the low voltage alarm comes on.. when I put the batteries back on the charger the cell are 3.68-3.70v on average.

Last edited:
my tri - turnigy 2836 1100Kv - 9 inch props . wooden booms F-20A esc. 2200 3s - 840 g plus battery . Flight time around 8 mins
Tried putting info into www.ecalc.ch to see differences - with different props/esc/Lipo 's and motors.
I did have 40A escs - changing to 20A didn't really make much difference- as predicted! Reducing weight would probably be most effective but not really possible . Next for me is to try slightly larger properllers. I have frsky telemetry which is great - plenty warning - although a cheap and cheerful battery alarm works almost as well.

Turnigy H.A.L. 585mm Frame in X-Quad Layout
NTM Prop Drive 28-30S 800KV 300W Motors
Turnigy Plush 18A ESCs
RCTimer Carbon Reinforced 10x4.5" Propellers
Zippy Compact 4000mAh 4S 25C LiPo

~1,800 grams of All Up Weight, hovers just above 50% throttle, runs for ~16 minutes before alarm sounds at 3.3v with mild maneuvering and hovering.

I/H 1/2" Dowel Frame with Carbon Fiber Brackets - All Up Weight is 850 grams.
NTM Prop Drive 28-30S 800KV 300W Motors
Turnigy Plush 18A ESCs
RCTimer Carbon Reinforced 10x4.5" Propellers
Turnigy Nano 1800 3S Battery

Runs for 10 to 11 minutes per charge.