Posting Elsewhere

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Ok, so there were a couple spammers today that I terminated and the resulting title under their name was "Posting Elsewhere". I'm perfectly fine with this moniker. It has a more dignified tone with maybe a touch of humor. Was there anything else behind the decision to rename? I hadn't heard anything about it.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Sorry Jim, didn't see this until you pointed it out.

It's the Monkey's humor.

I think he'd intended it for the rare individuals who have been "asked" to "post elsewhere", but that ban category is now alphabetically first, so it pops up as the default for any ban. you can change to "Banned users" instead of "Banned TOS" to get the familiar "banned" title.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, I modified the user title for anyone that was listed as banned. Or Banned TOS, something like that.

It seemed more "respectful" instead of just banned, with a touch of humor.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Although, in Konrad's case, he's been banned from so many forums, I think he's running out of "elsewheres" to post at.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Although, in Konrad's case, he's been banned from so many forums, I think he's running out of "elsewheres" to post at.
Which brings up the IP way of tracking. Since Konrad and others like him might be tempted to try again under another name. As I understand it, though his name changes his IP will remain the same. If this is so than that seems helpful but even so, will this mean maintaining a hit list of IP addresses of offenders? Do we have that already?

If only people could just play nicely.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
The IP address thing doesn't always work.

There's some dynamic IP addresses that change, some people have static, and then there's the TOR option, where they can mask their access.

Robert (IT guy) is working on getting things moved over to the new site which should be better for spam prevention, and has some features to help with people sneaking in around bans.

~Fred

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Very well then.

Oh yeah, FFS. Seems like I was discussing the certainty of this not that long ago.:p Lobster some other time then.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
FYI, I use a VPN (PIA) because.. Snowden.

Today my IP says I am in Mexico. This is a fine tool for shopping on Amazon. If you don't like the price to where you are, change your IP to show you are from rural Texas and watch the price drop.

I have a wide selection of choices of countries and states to show as my location and can change it any time I want in the GUI.

It's a Brave new World...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
True.

IP block tools only hit the dumb/cheap spammers, and we don't particularly want to be proxy-unfriendly, but there are quite a few dumb/cheap spammers out there.

Beating the smart ones, though . . . that's where the hunt becomes interesting.