Power cut out issue

I'm having a strange issue with my V-Tail quad. Im using a KK2 board with V1.6 firmware. A Turnigy 9x transmitter and Turnigy 8ch V2 receiver. HobbyKing f-30a ESCs with simonK firmware. Turnigy 2836/8 1100kv motors.

The power to all motors sometimes cuts out for a fraction of a second then returns.

I think each time it happens my KK2 shows "Error: no Thro input" or "no pitch input" after I have landed and unarmed the KK2.

I am fairly confident I don't have any loose connections. Could it be an interference issue? Or a receiver issue?

Here's a quick video showing the problem occuring twice within a few seconds.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I would suggest not assuming it's not a bad connection unless you are really sure what looks like a good connection is really not a cold solder connection or a servo lead that doesn't feel 'secure' on the pin(s). Did you wiggle all connections to see of any have a minute jiggle?

kah00na

Since you are losing power to ALL your motors, there may be a faulty connection on the battery cable or where it connects to the v-tail. Does the same thing happen with other batteries?

I'll have to take notice if it's happening with all batteries or just one battery.

What would cause the KK2 board to display the "No Throttle input" error though?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I've also had issues when trying to plug in the battery and it doesn't go the first time and makes a few quick connections as I try to plug in, the KK seems to lose contact with the Rx and give me funky errors. I'd take a hard look at the battery connections and make certain you don't have an intermittent fault there as well.
Plug in a battery and go through the entire harness wiggling and pulling to be sure nothing is loose or intermittent.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I have two very minor issues with the KK2 so far. Sometimes it takes up to 4 seconds to link to the Rx, most of the time it's under a couple.

And autolevel needs tweaking every couple days.

But all in all, it's close to perfect for what it is and the price. I give it an A :cool:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I have two very minor issues with the KK2 so far. Sometimes it takes up to 4 seconds to link to the Rx, most of the time it's under a couple.

And autolevel needs tweaking every couple days.

But all in all, it's close to perfect for what it is and the price. I give it an A :cool:
To be honest, I wouldn't even call what I'm describing an issue, as I knew I was creating it because I could hear the arcing as the plug contacts jitter around looking for the hole...(Note to self: get the innuendo out of your mind) It was only on certain batteries when I had trouble reaching the connection- leads are shorter on those. This was probably causing the board to power on and off rapidly, which is never good, so I have made an effort not to do it anymore. I just thought it might help point Green in the right direction with his issue.
So, long story short- if it's not too late- The board itself I am completely happy with, and once you upgrade the firmware to something beyond 1.2, and don't let your connectors connect more than once a go, it's a rockstar!

I'll try wiggling some wires and connections an see if I can replicate the problem on the ground.

I did have one crash which bent a few pins on the KK2 so I'll try swapping it for a spare one too.

I've been trying a few things with my quad and I don't believe it's a problem with the power supply between battery and KK2.

If there was a loose connection or power drop out in the power supply wiring that would cause the KK2 to reset and require arming again. My power cuts out then returns 1/4 second later (i.e. the KK2 did not reset). And the KK2 has recorded a loss of throttle input during that time.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I meant main power to the ESC's... Like a loose connection somewhere it the run from battery to harness/ESC's.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It might or might not depending on how fast or complete the drop is. When I chatter mine around and get some arcing on plug in of the battery, it sometimes gives me an error or resets but not always. What you might be getting is a brown-out where it's not a complete loss of power but more a loss of current. Go over the harness real well and check for broken wire in the individual leads, especially around the connectors.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I know what you mean by 'chattering'.

Where I love the design of the XT60, essentially a female/male connector in one, and its opposite. It completely enclosing and isolating itself. . . however, I have some batteries where the plug connects to the harness very, VERY tight if I push it all the way to the stop ridge. I then have to work REALLY hard to pull it apart.

So. . .I tend to ease the connectors together slowly and somewhat jerky, and that makes the system snap with a high amp arc sound.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Is it possible that your transmitter is dropping the signal?

If you put the KK2 down and in safe mode with the transmitter on and GENTLY rock your transmitter, does the no thro input error pop up on the KK2?

If you reverse the experiment and place the transmitter on the ground and GENTLY move your quad in safe mode, does the error show on the KK2?