Power outputs for power packs?

Arcfyre

Elite member
Good morning everyone.

So I've been a scratch builder for about a year now. I've bought a few FT laser kits, but never one of the power packs. I source my motors, servos, and props from either my LHS or other online sources. I've gotten pretty good at matching specific motors to airframes, but my methods are decidedly unscientific. I pretty much experiment with something that "looks right" and then go from there.

It seems that many of you have a much better grasp on the power packs than I do. I see a lot of comments like "that should fly fine on a power pack B" or "Try an F-pack with that". That's all well and good, and i can see the appeal for rookies to the hobby, but for the scratch builders like myself I'd like to have just a little more information.

This brings me to the "meat" of my question. Does anyone have a table of power outputs for the various power packs? For example, a B pack with "YYY" prop on a full 3S puts out "XXX" watts of power. I've been slowly compiling a table that contains performance numbers for my own electronics and it would be nice to have a comparison.

Thanks for any input as always.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I think it is a valid request.

Below each power pack there should be specs telling you the watts, amps and thrust with whatever combination, motor, prop, esc and including battery if it is 2S, 3S or 4S.

When I first stepped into scratch building 5 years ago heck plugging in a servo worked up a sweat , everything was French to me and I had to ask the simplest and probably the dumbest questions out there.

Arcfyre

Elite member
I haven’t done any testing personally, but, @DamoRC did some testing on post #83 of this page with the new radial 2218 (the motor that is going to replace the current c-pack motor).

Thanks, that is some good info. I'd like to see some for all of the power packs though, as I fly more than just C pack planes.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Here are some spec sheets for most of the common power packs: power pack A, power pack F, power pack B, and power pack C.
That little spec sheet should be right under the power pack it corresponds to. Me being new to the FT site I have no idea what each power pack is unless I go through and hunt down the specs , it is no big deal for me but for someone new so they can understand better what they are getting in each pack and why helps with the learning curve. Over the years I have invested in a watt meter (which everyone should have) plus a thrust stand so I can test all my combinations before they even go into a plane.

evranch

Here are some spec sheets for most of the common power packs: power pack A, power pack F, power pack B, and power pack C.

That's good of Emax to actually give a power curve with real tested thrust and wattage measurements. I didn't know this was available and always just fed the motor and prop data to eCalc to approximate a comparable setup. I agree, it should be posted on the FT store as well.

mayan

Legendary member
I would also appreciate a list of data regarding motor and prop combos in refards to what thrust (g) it will produce. @Arcfyre please share that data sheet with us when its done :).

Wildthing

Legendary member
That is a good reason as you get more into the hobby to invest in a thrust stand and a watt meter . Manufacturers specs I use as a yard stick but not as gospel , they don't always tell the truth. Different brands of motors with the same specs and totally different test results and the same goes for props doesn't matter that they are the same size and pitch.

mayan

Legendary member
That is a good reason as you get more into the hobby to invest in a thrust stand and a watt meter . Manufacturers specs I use as a yard stick but not as gospel , they don't always tell the truth. Different brands of motors with the same specs and totally different test results and the same goes for props doesn't matter that they are the same size and pitch.
That's why they say we learn new things every day :).