Power Pack A motor issues.

Hineybadger

Crashed this Mini Mustang last week. Took everything (power wise) out and installed in my Tiny Trainer. Receiver would only power ailerons. Changed out receiver (from Simple Cub) and everything worked and flew great. Rebuilt Mini mustang and got a new receiver (Spektrum AR620) today. And now this is what’s happening. All servos work great but not the motor which worked fine with Simple Cub receiver two days ago.

Attachments

• 8764003D-5923-4204-923D-9C4FD6B078CC.jpeg
    8764003D-5923-4204-923D-9C4FD6B078CC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 097B4935-B24C-4C40-9924-60AFE9E97E91.jpeg
    097B4935-B24C-4C40-9924-60AFE9E97E91.jpeg

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
You have a broken lead, a bad ESC, or a short.

Gently tug on each of the 3 connectors on both the motor & ESC.

If those check out, try a known good ESC. If the motor works, the ESC you removed is bad. You could also try a known good motor with the suspect ESC.

If the motor still not working, the motor likely has an internal short and needs to be replaced or rewind.

Hineybadger

You have a broken lead, a bad ESC, or a short.

Gently tug on each of the 3 connectors on both the motor & ESC.

If those check out, try a known good ESC. If the motor works, the ESC you removed is bad. You could also try a known good motor with the suspect ESC.

If the motor still not working, the motor likely has an internal short and needs to be replaced or rewind.
Thanks for the info. Found a lose connector on the esc. Unfortunately I have no soldering equipment or experience. Off to youtube I go to learn. Doesn't look like a big task.

Attachments

• 1DE92A24-90D9-421F-8FF9-397C2EEA486A.jpeg
    1DE92A24-90D9-421F-8FF9-397C2EEA486A.jpeg
Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
Soldering is a vital skill for making and fixing planes. Practice on scrap first, you don’t need to spend big money on an iron, I have a 25w that was about $40 that has done every solder job I have needed in RC including quads.
That connection could be re done without an iron, just put a moderately thick nail in some grips and heat it up to cherry red, dab it on the join to liquidise the solder then pull off, keep the wire still until solder cools, job done.

Hineybadger

Soldering is a vital skill for making and fixing planes. Practice on scrap first, you don’t need to spend big money on an iron, I have a 25w that was about $40 that has done every solder job I have needed in RC including quads.
That connection could be re done without an iron, just put a moderately thick nail in some grips and heat it up to cherry red, dab it on the join to liquidise the solder then pull off, keep the wire still until solder cools, job done.
Most excellent. Thanks for sharing. I’ll give that a try.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
One thing I have found with the new radial motors+ESC’s is that mine will not calibrate at zero throttle, I have to trim the throttle down5-6 clicks before it will calibrate. It could be my radio but I believe it is the esc.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @FDS, soldering is a vital skill, it will be well worth your time to learn to solder.
I struggled to solder with a cheap,$10 soldering iron. Nothing worked consistently. Then I bought a cheap temperature controlled soldering iron and like magic I got great joints.

The correct temperature and flux are essential to get good soldering.