Power Pack B Cessna O-1 Bird Dog

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Here's my first somewhat successful build: a Cessna O-1 Bird Dog Army Scout. After my first overambitious Stearman crashed I decided I needed to start with something simpler, so I started work on a this Cessna C-180 (https://www.flitetest.com/articles/cessna-180-swappable-with-plans). After building the wing I decided I really needed to build a warbird, so I kept the wing but built this fuselage instead.
IMG_20191105_204002.jpg

IMG_20191205_220453.jpg

I did some creative molding for the nose and I'm really satisfied with how it came out:

IMG_20191205_220702.jpg

The cowling is one piece rolled around the motor mount.

IMG_20191205_220608.jpg

Battery access is in the bottom, I couldn't find my velcro so I used a buckle. This entire assembly will likely be changed to accomadate a smaller battery, the plane ended up being a bit overweight with this one.

IMG_20191205_220635.jpg

I don't have a video pf the maiden but here's how it went:

The maiden flight was a little hairy due to the plane being overweight. I only had a large 4s and decided to try to fly it on that, and it was hard to handle as a result. The landing gear wasn't strong enough to withstand the rough landing and separated from the plane with damage to the cowling and motor mount. The prop was also extremely torquey on a 4s. This is my first build that flew at all however, so I'm excited anyway. The damage shouldn't take long to repair and I've ordered a smaller battery. We'll see how it flies with less weight.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Got another flight in today, this time with a 1300 mah 3s. Overall weight was ~18 ounces, wing loading was ~5 grams per sq. inch. It was flying great but I lost signal after a few seconds due to a bad rx. I put a Lemon rx in it which should fix the problem, damage to the plane was minimal and I should have it flying again in a few days when I have another afternoon free. So far this plane is doing exactly what I intended- teach me how to build and fly my own plane without breaking the bank.