Power Pod Set-up for Versa Wing and others

NateKendrick

Hello! New to the forums, asking for advice:

I've built my first FT swappable, a Versa Wing. One side's a bit off from the other, but not too bad. I'm waiting on Flite Test parts for my power pod to build it.

Using some online calculators and some educated guesswork, I ordered the following parts for my power pod:

APC 9x6E prop
Turnigy Plush 25amp Speed Controller
D2830-11 1000kv Brushless Motor rated for 210W & 21A, 52g

I have a bunch of 1300mAh 3S LiPos I acquired for cheap, and this drove my power choices. I'm aiming for 15-20A in flight which should give me about 4-5 min of flight. I'll try my 2200mAh 3S batteries if it looks like it can handle the weight.

Okay, I should have asked before I ordered, but too late..... should I be good with this setup? I have a V & A meter that I can plug in once I solder connectors to the ESC to double-check the current draw under load. Other than that, I'll get it wired up and fly it.

It seems like every calculator gives a range of numbers, and it will come down to flight testing to see if it works. Being new to the hobby, I don't have a lot of random parts to pull from. (I have some flight time on a Bixler 2 and an electric high-wing balsa-and-cloth aerobatic plane (Super Miss), so I'm good enough on flight skills. It's the building stuff where I've lots to learn.)

After I get this up and running, I plan on building a spitfire or other more challenging build, and then trying a couple designs on my own. I have to thank Josh Bixler for inspiring me to take up the design challenge. I've been doodling airplanes for as long as I can remember, and he has shown how easy it is to make those little daydreams a reality. (I'm also a big fan of his mentality about sharing RC with the family... my almost-2-year-old is so excited about airplanes and helicopters, he drives ME nuts!) Thanks!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hey Nate! Welcome to the forum!

That power system should be just fine and plenty of power for a Versa. if you go with a tractor pod you should balance out with ease, and the 2200 won't be a problem :)

If you go for a pusher pod, you'll *want* that 2200 . . . and a good quantity of lead to balance. it's surprising the difference moving the motor weight from the tail to the nose can make, it's just not as kind to your props. It *can* be done, and it is surprising how well a Versa will glide even when loaded down with ballast.

NateKendrick

Thanks!

I'm going to make a tractor pod first so I can put it into other swappable planes. The Versa Wing will probably be converted to a pusher at some far off future date, after more planes are built and parts are purchased.

NateKendrick

Maiden!

My setup worked great. Not a lot of top-end speed, but plenty of thrust. It goes straight up!

Lessons learned:
(1) Tighten the prop collet! On the first toss, I spun up the throttle, and the prop spun right off the shaft!
(2) Small throws! It was really twitchy in pitch, even with 70% throw and 30% expo. Need to put the servo rod ends on the furthest hole of the elevon arm. Backed it off to 50-40 at the field, and I'll readjust after I move the ends.
(3) Don't over-tighten the prop collet! On my second landing, the prop hit with just a little throttle on, and the collet snapped off at the threads. You could see where it had necked down from being tightened too much. But perhaps it saved the motor?

I'll post photos next.