Power settings for FT Flyer

KevinChaa

Hello everybody,

I have built my first plane ( i have never flew one) and I am new to the electronics. I wanted to know what kind of flying characteristic should I expect with this power set up, and what kind of throws or expo should I set on my turnigy 9x? Or I do not set anything and it will fly easy for a beginner like me?

800kV motor
8x6e APC prop
25A ESC
3s 2200mAh Lipo battery

I bought all these in my local hobby shop without following the suggested electronics by flitetest.

Also I have 0 experience in flying. So I wanted to make my first flight a good memory.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Winglet

Well...I would say at full power it is going to be really fast. The good news is....you don't need to use full power. It will be a little heavy with the 2200 battery so it won't slow down as much as say one with a 350mah pack which is what I normally use on mine. I would set the flight controls as Josh recommends. If you set in about 30% expo that would be nice but not completely necessary. The Flyer tends to fly well in many configurations. Your setup isn't ideal in my opinion but not totally bad either. Most importantly, make sure your center of gravity is in the correct location. Just start with a gentle toss into the wind and make very brief hops gliding back to the ground. Best of luck and have fun!

KevinChaa

Well...I would say at full power it is going to be really fast. The good news is....you don't need to use full power. It will be a little heavy with the 2200 battery so it won't slow down as much as say one with a 350mah pack which is what I normally use on mine. I would set the flight controls as Josh recommends. If you set in about 30% expo that would be nice but not completely necessary. The Flyer tends to fly well in many configurations. Your setup isn't ideal in my opinion but not totally bad either. Most importantly, make sure your center of gravity is in the correct location. Just start with a gentle toss into the wind and make very brief hops gliding back to the ground. Best of luck and have fun!

Thanks for the respond brother. May I know why would you think that it is not ideal? Was it because of the heavy battery? Also with your 350mah pack how long will it last usually? And how should I predict mine to avoid over discharging it?

earthsciteach

Typically, an 800 KV motor is for a much larger plane than the Flyer. But, that statement is definitely a bit of an oversimplification. Can you post a link to it or share the wattage of the motor?

Also, a 2200 mah, 3s is REALLY heavy for the Flyer as a first airplane. The FT Flyers I've flown were with 800 mAh, 2s batteries (TINY in comparison). They had great flight times with that battery and a "Blue Wonder" sized motor. I would be really uncomfortable with that setup for a beginner.

KevinChaa

Typically, an 800 KV motor is for a much larger plane than the Flyer. But, that statement is definitely a bit of an oversimplification. Can you post a link to it or share the wattage of the motor?

Also, a 2200 mah, 3s is REALLY heavy for the Flyer as a first airplane. The FT Flyers I've flown were with 800 mAh, 2s batteries (TINY in comparison). They had great flight times with that battery and a "Blue Wonder" sized motor. I would be really uncomfortable with that setup for a beginner.

I think this is my own fault. I have always thought that a smaller kV means lower rpm hence slower flight. The motor does not have a power rating, it draws 15A. The model is AX-2215C you can refer to this website
http://www.rcsmart.com.my/products/AX-Brushless-Motor-for-Planes/10937

So should I buy a 2s battery for that?

PhenomPilot

That is a lot of motor for that plane. It will definitely fly at full throttle but sink like a rock when you let off because of the relatively small wings for the amount of weight (wing loading). The KV is the RPM/Volt and lower is slower but it doesn't correspond directly to power. The bigger the motor, generally the lower the KV and the higher the torque meaning you can swing a bigger prop. If money is tight, you can use the motor but I would recommend lightening plane by going with a smaller battery. Pick up something closer to a 3s 1000mah battery to save some weight and maybe a 10x4.5 Slowfly prop. Because of the weight, I would suggest putting a bbq skewer or carbon rod across the swings so they don't fold up when you start doing loops. Flight time might might only be 5-6 minutes but in the beginning it can be hard to concentrate for much longer than that. That motor and 2200mah battery will come in handy for a bloody wonder or warbird build.

KevinChaa

That is a lot of motor for that plane. It will definitely fly at full throttle but sink like a rock when you let off because of the relatively small wings for the amount of weight (wing loading). The KV is the RPM/Volt and lower is slower but it doesn't correspond directly to power. The bigger the motor, generally the lower the KV and the higher the torque meaning you can swing a bigger prop. If money is tight, you can use the motor but I would recommend lightening plane by going with a smaller battery. Pick up something closer to a 3s 1000mah battery to save some weight and maybe a 10x4.5 Slowfly prop. Because of the weight, I would suggest putting a bbq skewer or carbon rod across the swings so they don't fold up when you start doing loops. Flight time might might only be 5-6 minutes but in the beginning it can be hard to concentrate for much longer than that. That motor and 2200mah battery will come in handy for a bloody wonder or warbird build.

For a motor like mine the suitable battery I should get is a 3s 1000mah? What if I buy a 2s 800mah instead just to get way more lighter? Also with my high torque motor a large 10 inch prop is better than a 8 inch prop? Man I've been making mistake and always spending a lot for my first build. But I do learnt new things from them. Thanks a lot for your precious opinion. :D

PhenomPilot

A 2s 800mah battery is a little small for what that motor needs. If it were a high C rated battery (high amperage) it might handle current draw but your flight times may be around 2-3 minutes. A 2s 800mah battery would go well with small motor like AX-1806C or AX-2208C from that website. Also, the less voltage, the bigger the prop needs to be because KV is in relation to voltage. Meaning, I would go to a 10 or 11 inch prop for a 2s battery. A 8x6 prop on 2s with that motor isn't going to cut it. Try your motor with a 10x4.5 or 10x4.7 prop and 3s 1000-1300mah battery and you will be happy! I have a 1400kv motor just a little smaller than yours running a 8x6prop and 3s 1000mah on my FT Flyer and it is way too fast for a beginner so take it easy on the throttle ;)

KevinChaa

A 2s 800mah battery is a little small for what that motor needs. If it were a high C rated battery (high amperage) it might handle current draw but your flight times may be around 2-3 minutes. A 2s 800mah battery would go well with small motor like AX-1806C or AX-2208C from that website. Also, the less voltage, the bigger the prop needs to be because KV is in relation to voltage. Meaning, I would go to a 10 or 11 inch prop for a 2s battery. A 8x6 prop on 2s with that motor isn't going to cut it. Try your motor with a 10x4.5 or 10x4.7 prop and 3s 1000-1300mah battery and you will be happy! I have a 1400kv motor just a little smaller than yours running a 8x6prop and 3s 1000mah on my FT Flyer and it is way too fast for a beginner so take it easy on the throttle ;)

Thanks a lot! I will head to my local hobby shop to grab a couple of propellers and battery you mentioned to me. Hope my first and ever flight will be a good one ( hopefully not too bad) and I will be a happy guy.