Power systems?

FDS

Elite member
Those gold motors and cheap ESC’s are pretty awful. Are you building the mini Mustang? If so a smaller motor like an 1806 is better. They don’t fit the standard mini firewall and are very heavy.
That Lipo is too big for a mini as well. Generally EBay and Amazon are not very useful for decent motors unless you know exactly what you are looking for. If you are a total beginner the Mustang is not a very forgiving plane to fly. The FT store power packs are easier if you are starting out, the stuff in them is good quality and fits the airframe well.
I run all my minis on this motor with an esc like this, with either a 6x4 prop or 5x3 prop on an 850mah or less 3s. That gives 10 mins flight time and plenty of thrust. If you are building a bigger Mustang and want power pack C motors then there’s plenty of those too.

Last edited:

FlyVirginia

Those gold motors and cheap ESC’s are pretty awful. Are you building the mini Mustang? If so a smaller motor like an 1806 is better. That Lipo is too big for a mini as well. Generally EBay and Amazon are not very useful for decent motors unless you know exactly what you are looking for.
I'm building the full size mustang. what's wrong with them? do they die too soon?
do you have any alternate recommendations?
thanks!
Edit: where should i buy them then?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
For the full sized mustang I think you will be good with the Emax 2822 1200Kv option.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
Full size Mustang will want 30A esc, motors like this one, you don’t want more than 1200kv and a slowfly style 10x4 prop. I have used one of those gold ones in place of a C pack but soon switched it out for an emax.
Is this your first plane? If so don’t rush and buy a warbird.

FlyVirginia

Full size Mustang will want 30A esc, motors like this one, you don’t want more than 1200kv and a slowfly style 10x4 prop. I have used one of those gold ones in place of a C pack but soon switched it out for an emax.
Is this your first plane? If so don’t rush and buy a warbird.
3rd plane first warbird. Thanks for the responses

FDS

Elite member
Ok, so no worries about flying it then!
Good luck with the build, there’s lots of 2212 size 1100kv motors around.

kdobson83

If money is a factor, look into racerstar motors and esc's. They are cheaper but still have pretty good quality. You can get a racerstar 2830 1300kv motor for 8.99 and a 20amp racerstar esc for about 10 on banggood.com. I have this motor on my explorer on 3s with a 9x5 prop and it's works great, unlimited vertical. But if money isn't an issue I'd go with emax stuff or to play it safe get the new FT radial stuff.

FlyVirginia

If money is a factor, look into racerstar motors and esc's. They are cheaper but still have pretty good quality. You can get a racerstar 2830 1300kv motor for 8.99 and a 20amp racerstar esc for about 10 on banggood.com. I have this motor on my explorer on 3s with a 9x5 prop and it's works great, unlimited vertical. But if money isn't an issue I'd go with emax stuff or to play it safe get the new FT radial stuff.
thanks! I will order when I get home.
P.S. what brands of servos are cheap but still good?

kdobson83

thanks! I will order when I get home.
P.S. what brands of servos are cheap but still good?
I use MG90S servos. They are your normal 9 gram servo but have metal gears. Havent had issue yet. I have them in multiple planes including my 125% Spitfire and they work great. You can get em from banggood with that racerstar stuff too. Or, the motor, esc, and servos are on eBay as well, although I have found them to be a hair more expensive on eBay tho.