(practically) unbeatable tricopter yaw!

5 oclock charlie

hey guys this will be my first post here- finally found a simple yaw system. i had to share with the people who inspired me to make the tricopter to begin with.
place i ordered from had them to my door on 3rd day
first a pros and cons list
pros:
total cost <12.$ minus ship
miniscule parts count (total of 4) not including wire linkage of your choice
5 minute assembly not counting adjustment for servo
not having to wait on hobbyking shipping, us shipments take 2 weeks plus for me.
the overwhelming feeling of relief if you've been struggling to get a decent yaw system for your tri.

cons:
not totally precise, swivel hub uses ball bearings- i would expect some wear over time. i put 4 drops of oil on the bearings and reassembled and it was almost perfect....but not quite.
having to wait a couple days for the package to hit your door.

questions and comments appreciated- i am a newb to multirotor so is you see something wrong speak up, but if you could use my idea please gimme a shout out so i know i helped someone.
thanks

ps sound may be high so speaker check

5 oclock charlie

the weight on the 90 degree plates was in the 6 gram range...and the hub was a similar weight. with the mounting screws it ended up weighing less then 30 grams. the wood one it replaced was over 40 so it was a positive move for me.
i have the fittings to make davids but dont wanna deal with the fabrication, cutting the bs off the servo etc.
this is bolt and go. your up and flying in less than 10 minutes, no wait for parts. and the pre drilled holes allow for a ton of different mounting.
really a great product or i never would have bothered listing it. was an extreme relief from the janky wood crap i was using with an allthread rod as the axle.

JamesS

I know what you mean about the overwhelming sense of relief when it all comes together :) I got so fed up waiting for the steering arm parts to be in stock at HK I decided to do my own and this was the result of my 3rd attempt. To say I'm pleased is a massive understatement :)

This one is being used on a t-copter made out of 20mm electrical conduit rather than an RCE tri but the idea would work on a tri too.

It is made out of a length of M10 threaded tube and 3 x 6802RS bearings wrapped in electrical tape for a snug fit inside a saddle on to which the motor is zip tied. The threaded tube is then inserted in to a small length of capped conduit with 10mm holes drilled at each end and held together with a couple of thin nuts. The whole assembly is then pushed into a conduit joiner piece attached to the tail boom.

The threaded tube is surprisingly light and being tube rather than heavy rod which I was using to being with, I can run the motor and servo wires inside and through the conduit keeping everything nice and neat.

The servo is epoxied to the side of the saddle and the servo horn is connected to the rest of the tail by a couple of linkage stoppers, a nylon arm and some piano wire.

I haven't tried it but to adapt it for the RCE tri, replace the threaded rod with a smaller diameter bolt and bearings to suit then drill the end of the boom and screw+glue the bolt in place.

or...

If you didn't want to drill the boom, drill a larger cube of wood and cable tie/glue that to the boom instead.

You may need a little nut between the bearings and the boom to stop it binding on the wood.

James