What plane should I add the Prandtl-D Wing to?

• Mini-Arrow

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • FT-Explorer

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • FoamyDM-HS Carrier

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • FT-Simple Cub

• FT-Tiny Trainer

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • FT-Bloody Baron (somehow)

• Airliner

Votes: 14 25.9%

• Total voters

Tench745

Master member
A suggestion on your launching technique. I saw this once in a paper airplane building book. Grab the wing by the nose sort of underhanded with middle and pointer fingers on the top and thumb supporting underneath, then throw it by sort-of pulling it nose forward into the air.
It's not a powerful throw, but is a good way to get an awkward shape in the air without accidentally imparting any pitching moments like pushing it can. I tried to find a picture or video but haven't had any luck.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Measure the weight tonight...
I have 47.5g of nose weight
IMG_20190514_005806563.jpg IMG_20190514_005815006.jpg
So the wing weights 128.5g

Vimana89

Legendary member
Can't wait to see this fly! I definitely like your logo a lot and it's cool to see it on your builds. I have to do something like that. Thinking a sharp V with vortex trails coming off.

FoamyDM

Thanks @Vimana89. It comes from my two passions. Gaming (D&D) and this hobby.

I love seeing the logo on the craft. Like it's my own airliner co. (Specializing in sketchy, no innovative, craft)

FoamyDM

**OFF TOPIC**
While I love the Logo (and I'm glad others do too.), when someone from the field looks at it, it gives me a mild anxiety, even more when they ask about it.
YEARS of having the mainstream ridicule for owning up to my love of Gaming and tabletop RPG. I have far less anxiety now. But as Flying is new, I don't need ancient stigma to follow me into somewhere I am not as confident.
It has taken me 20-25 years to gain the self confidence to own it. good and bad. Maybe it's age, Maybe it's become more mainstream, maybe I've realized standing up and out is the way to help others fell less like hiding that joy.

Every so often, owning up yields amazing results. And that reminds me why I flaunt it. (see logo)

Longtoes

Hey, this is amazing work! The Prandtl-D is an awesome design and it's exciting to see someone make it out of DTFB. I'm definitely watching your progress on this- it could be revolutionary! :)

Red_Jensen

First post! A FB friend posted a link to this build. Really cool to see other people following our work and trying this for themselves.

I’ll be following along, please don’t hesitate to ask if there are any questions I can help with.

Cheers
Red

GMalatrasi

First post! A FB friend posted a link to this build. Really cool to see other people following our work and trying this for themselves.

I’ll be following along, please don’t hesitate to ask if there are any questions I can help with.

Cheers
Red
I've always wondered how one would go about applying this concept to different wing shapes, more specifically different wing sweep angles.

FoamyDM

@GMalatrasi - I think the 1914 Burgess-Dunne model I'm doing for the FTFC20 Classic to modern challenge actually uses this wing twist. if you look at the progressive section, the wing goes from level with the Fuse, to a twist of nearly -5° twist with upwash at the tips.

@Red_Jensen - It was Al's talks, and your FTCC interview that really sent me down this rabbit-hole and seeing the curled payload surveying wing on the mars rover. Before I busted the original in half on that gusty mess of a day, I was worried the aileron surfaces were WAY to small. they get awefull small even at this scale. Are there better configurations I should try on the rebuild?

kilroy07

Legendary member

Cheers
Red
Has anyone (that you know of) tried 3D printing the wing?
As @FoamyDM has found out it can be a challenge getting that essential twist to work in foamboard.

GMalatrasi

@GMalatrasi - I think the 1914 Burgess-Dunne model I'm doing for the FTFC20 Classic to modern challenge actually uses this wing twist. if you look at the progressive section, the wing goes from level with the Fuse, to a twist of nearly -5° twist with upwash at the tips.

What I was leading to was that I'd like to know if there's a tool to get the twist numbers for different wings since it's a non-linear twist distribution. (FYI the 2016 NASA paper lists a 10° twist from root to tip.)
From all the research I've done, the general design of all the test models have a very similar design.
Ultimately, I'd like to use this concept to get the proverse yaw effect on different designs so I wondered how the geometry changes for different sweep angles. I would assume the published design accounts for the lateral flow due to the sweep.

Last edited:

My77gmc

As @FoamyDM has found out it can be a challenge getting that essential twist to work in foamboard.

A 3d printing project here:

https://forum.aerofred.com/forum/3d-printing/aerofred-kits/628-nasa-prandtl-d-flying-wing