shadeyB

Legendary member
here’s my 10p worth
its the Blackwing from Eclipson, I did think about the prandtl.
no trouble printing and happy with the slight warping as you don’t get any thinner than 1 layer thick
i also use tape but only tape on ailerons
snapped mine on 2 or 3 a couple times now lol
reinforced the centre section joins with packing tape and no dramas as yet
i find the Cg next to impossible, seriously nose heavy and still wants to climb, fully trimmed out on surfaces downward and yes still climbs slightly so to me thrust angle set up is wasaayyyy off, love 3D printed props and no failures or issues as yet, but motor mount needs strengthening maybe print tat piece in ABS
all that being said I love flying her and glides like a dart on steroids 😆

DrArroway

here’s my 10p worth
its the Blackwing from Eclipson, I did think about the prandtl.
no trouble printing and happy with the slight warping as you don’t get any thinner than 1 layer thick
i also use tape but only tape on ailerons
snapped mine on 2 or 3 a couple times now lol
reinforced the centre section joins with packing tape and no dramas as yet
i find the Cg next to impossible, seriously nose heavy and still wants to climb, fully trimmed out on surfaces downward and yes still climbs slightly so to me thrust angle set up is wasaayyyy off, love 3D printed props and no failures or issues as yet, but motor mount needs strengthening maybe print tat piece in ABS
all that being said I love flying her and glides like a dart on steroids 😆

Me too, it's realy sensible in pitch when I thorttle up, but the motor is probably mounted way too low

Keno

Been following this post on the Prandtl could not resist to go for it as I like wings. I am printing it with LW-PLA and had some problems with layer splitting and parts being too fragile. After I used to much CA to repair splitting trash can they went. I then used their STL’s and worked on putting together printing setting into Cura. I followed their printing parameter for most setting and increased the flow to 60% for most parts and 65% for wing C. I use a fan speed of 50%. Retraction of 2mm and at 100mm/sec but is only my preference for Eclipson print. I use hair spray for bed adhesion to prevent warp, then use a thin artist spatula to remove part from bed. Brim removal requires a hobby blade for its removal as it does not peel off. I am not a fan of Eclipson’s alignment tabs as they fall of at the slightest touch. We will see how this flies in the near future as weather permits.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Well, Eclipson released a V2 version of their PRANDTL, so I've taken it upon myself to take advantage of their 75% off upgrade to get the new files. I'm in the process of printing a PLA version using the "STOCK" PLA gcode files with GREAT success on my Monoprice MP-10 Printer. I'm using a color shifting Silk filament, so no two planes/parts will be alike. Once I get done with the PLA version, I'll start working on a LW-PLA version. I've gotten through printing the majority of the Wing/fuse/Control pieces in less than 24 hours. These WILL fly this year! I still have a V1 PLA version that I never finished. I may give it to one of the guys at the field, or possibly take it up and give it to the FT guys to build.

IMG_20220103_214057836.jpg

IMG_20220103_214105388.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

jpot1

Elite member
@LitterBug - a word of caution - use a bungee launch if you are printing with PLA as the weight is a bit much based on the airfoil. I had one lucky toss that worked but after that … not a good result.

I’m getting ready to do v2 out of lw-pla.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
@LitterBug - a word of caution - use a bungee launch if you are printing with PLA as the weight is a bit much based on the airfoil. I had one lucky toss that worked but after that … not a good result.

I’m getting ready to do v2 out of lw-pla.

I'm planning on doing a LW-PLA print too. May grab the FT Aura out of one of my Strix Nano Goblins to aid in launching.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Well, Eclipson released a V2 version of their PRANDTL, so I've taken it upon myself to take advantage of their 75% off upgrade to get the new files. I'm in the process of printing a PLA version using the "STOCK" PLA gcode files with GREAT success on my Monoprice MP-10 Printer. I'm using a color shifting Silk filament, so no two planes/parts will be alike. Once I get done with the PLA version, I'll start working on a LW-PLA version. I've gotten through printing the majority of the Wing/fuse/Control pieces in less than 24 hours. These WILL fly this year! I still have a V1 PLA version that I never finished. I may give it to one of the guys at the field, or possibly take it up and give it to the FT guys to build.

View attachment 214891
View attachment 214892

Cheers!
LitterBug
I love the look of this.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
For those Still interested in building one out of Foam Board, I have managed to make one, easier to make (not balance) that Flies great! check out the 3rd or 4th post for the Modified Pradtl-D thread for details, and plans.

To me, It flies so beautifully.

What do you veterans think? do you like it better than more traditional wings? FPV is it smoother?